Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How early did your baby walk?

(92 Posts)
ginseng Sat 18-Oct-08 20:47:33

My daughter was crawling at 8 months and now at a week off 9 months she is looking like it won't be long before she is walking as she is cruising around the furniture and wanting to walk (although she hasn't got her balance yet) this is all a big shock to me as my son was 16 months old before he walked. Any other early walkers? not that she is walking just yet

Thanks

G

ChasingSquirrels Sat 18-Oct-08 20:49:35

ds1 - rolled 6mo, crawled (and crusied 2 days later) at 9mo, walked at 10.5mo.
ds2 - rolled at 6mo, crawled at 9mo, walked at just part 12mo.

My friend's dd1 walked at 9m5d, her dd2 was even earlier.

scaryfucker Sat 18-Oct-08 20:49:40

my 1st baby walked at 4.5 months

my 2nd just pipped it at 4.2343 months

beat that !

<sigh>

does it matter a jot

notnowbernard Sat 18-Oct-08 20:51:44

DD1 walked at 9m

Twas a nightmare... she was astonishingly bad at it and was covered in bruises for months

FAQ Sat 18-Oct-08 20:55:20

DS1 - 18 1/2 months (didn't crawl either or bum shuffle) - and was hopeless for months
DS2 - just under 10 months - running round like a mad thing almost instantly (and hasn't stopped)
DS3 - about 13 months - is nearly 17 months now and people think he was a really early walker as he's that confident on his feet lol.

Early walkers are a nightmare IME - they don't even begin to comprehend "no" so get into/onto everything. DS1 was a breeze as he already had an idea of the "no" concept grin

Bleedodgy Sat 18-Oct-08 20:56:48

DD: 10 months
ds1: 14 months
ds2: crawling and cruising and standing at 9 months and I reckon he'll be an early walker like dd.

notnowbernard Sat 18-Oct-08 20:57:21

Agree, FAQ

She was everywhere, falling into everything, bruises like tattoos on her forehead...

Took months before she was really stable

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Sat 18-Oct-08 20:57:41

4.5 months?

hmm

ginseng Sat 18-Oct-08 20:58:01

Thanks all, no it doesnt matter at all, just am surprised as its all happening so fast and its good to hear others whos babies walked early, but thanks anyway sf for your helpful comments hmm

joyfuleyes Sat 18-Oct-08 20:58:02

Mine walked early (10 months, they hit all their motor milestones early) BUT neither of them talked (at all) until they were >2yo - so swings & roundabouts really. None of brother's children (3 of them) walked before 18 months but they all spoke in perfect sentences while mine were still grunting!

My HV mentioned that the age children start to walk at is similar to their parents - both dh & I walked well before a year old.

FAQ Sat 18-Oct-08 20:58:05

oh and DS3 went from pulling himself to standing to starting to cruise furniture in 3 attempts (3rd attempt at pulling himself up he cruised one end of the sofa to the other) - but it was about 3 months after that he actually walked.

KittyFloss Sat 18-Oct-08 21:01:40

WTF does it matter, you just get less time to sit on your arse (precious time to me). The only one that has shocked me was that 6 month old in the news a few months ago.

Imagine a 6month old walking around, poor bloody parents I say.

Mine walked at a week off 12 months and approx 18 months, know which I would prefer grin

ginseng Sat 18-Oct-08 21:01:49

I am hoping that my DD will be like your DS3 FAQ as it sounds like early walkers can be hard work!!

annmar Sat 18-Oct-08 21:02:00

DD2 crawled at 4 months and walked at 9 months.

It has been a nightmare.

She never sat on the floor and played, because she could crawl before she could sit.

She is 18 months now and still doesn't sit and play, she just runs about like a mad thing.

DD1 was 9 months when she crawled and 11 and a bit months when she walked. Much calmer and less stressful all round.

ginseng Sat 18-Oct-08 21:03:54

I agree KittyFloss, it doesnt matter, it was so easy with my son walking at 16 months, i just am shocked at the speed of things with my DD. i should be more precise with how i word posts in future! maybe with (it really doesnt matter ....)

Bleedodgy Sat 18-Oct-08 21:04:12

Our living room is like a soft play place atm all the cushions are lined up on the granite hearth so he doesn't hurt himself. I had a fireguard for ds1 but won't be using that again it was an extendable one and had a little bit of metal sticking out where it extends in the middle. Ds1 chipped his tooth on it!

KittyFloss Sat 18-Oct-08 21:05:07

Oh and btw the whole talking thing doesn't always work that way, the one who walked at 12 months was talking in sentences at 2 years. The one who walked at 18 months is still lazy and says around 3 words.

I was an early talker late walker, bugger it, means nowt eventually.

ginseng Sat 18-Oct-08 21:05:40

Sounds exactly like our living room!!!

DerbyshireMum Sat 18-Oct-08 21:08:03

My DS started walking at 10 months and is now running around everywhere. My DH apparantly walked at 9 months though, so DS is obviously taking after his side of the family - I didn't walk at all until 18 months.

Lubyloo Sat 18-Oct-08 21:09:27

DD was 10.5 months but really wasn't ready to walk. She seemed to be overly confident in her abilities and had no fear but didn't really have the skill! She would set off at a run and then fall over so was covered in bruises for the first few weeks.

Olihan Sat 18-Oct-08 21:11:07

Ds1 crawled at 8mo, walked at 13mo and tlked fluently by 21/22mo.

DD crawled at 8mo and walked at 10mo but didn't talk (more than a handful of single words) until after she was 2.

DS2 crawled at 6mo, walked at 10mo and is a pretty fluent talker now at 21mo.

So I had a talker, then a walker, then a talking walker grin.

Having them walk slightly later is actually less harrowing on the old nerves, IME. At 10mo ds2 and dd really had no concept of danger, obstacles, etc, whereas ds1 was a bit more cautious about it all.

FAQ Sat 18-Oct-08 21:12:34

oh and if we're onto talking as well in relationship to walking

all 3 DS's didn't really talk much at all before they turned 2, so made no difference whether they were an early walker (DS2, late walker DS1, "average age" whatever that is walkver DS2).

Flamesparrow Sat 18-Oct-08 21:18:23

9 months for Flameboy

Bubbaloo Sat 18-Oct-08 21:50:44

Ds1 walked at 13 months

Ds2 started walking last week.He's 18 months.

LadyLaGore Sat 18-Oct-08 21:51:46

ds1 - 12m
ds2 - 12m
ds3 - 10m

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now