Talk

Advanced search

Dribbling

(18 Posts)
NannyNanny Sat 18-Oct-08 20:06:05

Three year old constantly dribbling. At what age should children stop dribbling. Help!

NannyNanny Sat 18-Oct-08 20:11:03

Sorry. Posted twice. Do not write on this wall please. There is another one. Thank you.

NannyNanny Sun 19-Oct-08 12:00:06

Sorry, other post has been deleted. Any help on this one would be great please.

NannyNanny Sun 19-Oct-08 20:07:53

Bumping for myself. I am quite concerned. The dribbling is on the scale of a St. Bernard dog!

TheArmadillo Sun 19-Oct-08 20:15:23

my ds does though it is calming down now he has just reached 4yo.

He was seeing the paed for constipation at the time so we asked. He said it's worth checking with a dentist and asked if ds was talking fine (no probs with that) and his swallowing and everything was fine. They said basically as conclusion, nothing was wrong, it had just gone on longer than usual.

So as long as not having any other mouth issues (e.g. talking, swallowing, eating) then it isn't a problem. May be worth mentioning to dentist, but probably nothing wrong.

Ds is growing out of it more (gets worse when tired/ill) and is not having the gallons he had before.

Is he getting the sore patch on his chin cos we had some brilliant creams for that.

FangolinaJolly Sun 19-Oct-08 20:22:45

DD dribbles an awful lot but she has low muscle tone and severe speech probs.

childrenofthecornsilk Sun 19-Oct-08 20:27:50

my ds dribbled a lot and so did my nephew. Ds is dyslexic but nephew has no difficulties.

countingto10 Sun 19-Oct-08 20:32:14

My eldest son was a severe dribbler (had to keep bibs on him to stop clothes getting saturated) until he was 3+.  He has ASD and had speech problems.  His speech therapist suggested a doctor look at his tonsils as he had enough problems without the dribbling as well.
As a result his tonsils were removed when he was nearly 4 as they were very big and preventing his tongue sitting properly in his mouth (?) - the operation stopped his dribbling.  We also did "mr tongue" exercises to help him.

Haylstones Sun 19-Oct-08 20:34:51

TheArmadillo, do you mind me asking what creams you used? I have a rather chubby 7mo who gets sore under the excess skin under his chin and as he is constantly teething it's impossible to keep dry. E45 doesn't help much.

TheArmadillo Sun 19-Oct-08 20:56:52

we used
WALA rosatum Heilsalbe one (homeopathic - not the moisturiser version as someone tried to sell us but the proper tube cream). Which I was a bit hmm about but worked really well for when it was sore but not too bad. And smells lovely too.

And for when really sore and painful we were advised to use canesten (or other versions there of) which cleared it up really quickly.

Very impressed with both.

TheArmadillo Sun 19-Oct-08 20:58:34

I would check canesten with the pharmacist before putting it on one so little though.

NannyNanny Sun 19-Oct-08 22:28:35

Thanks for your help everyone. He is not my son, but a sort of friends child who I occasionally look after/ help out with. He does have issues with his speech. He can say about 15 words but only when looking at pictures and being asked again and again, 'What is this?'. He constantly babbles in his own language and is extremely hyperactive. I am concerned for him. If there is a problem, it should be helped with asap I think.

NannyNanny Sun 19-Oct-08 22:29:16

Oh and yes he does have a dry patch on his chin. Well, red raw actually.

Haylstones Mon 20-Oct-08 09:55:36

Thanks TheArmadillo, his chin is ok atm but I will check that out next time I'm in town for when it inevitably flares up again

Niecie Mon 20-Oct-08 10:00:38

I'm another one who had a dribbler at 3 - he is 8 now and still dribbles in his sleep but most of the time doesn't dribble when awake!

Again he has mild AS and mild speech problems so it could be an indicator of something more serious especially if you have noticed other problems.

Can you talk to the parents about it?

NannyNanny Mon 20-Oct-08 12:16:03

I have mentioned to his mum that his speech is a little slow. I said this in a sympathetic and cautious manner. His nursery has referred him to the speech therapist but his mum hasn't taken him. What are the signs of AS and ASD, and can young children be diagnosed?

Niecie Mon 20-Oct-08 14:04:01

I can't speak for anybody else there are a huge range of behaviours but DS1 became withdrawn, not in a moody way but he just didn't interact with people, he was in a world of his own. Pacing and hand flapping was another thing, he never sat still - still doesn't actually.

Lack of eye contact is another one which is common in young children.

My DS had good speech and vocab but difficulty with clarity - the muscles in his mouth didn't work properly hence the dribbling. He has had speech therapy which is nearly finished now.

They aren't always keen to diagnose early for mild cases like my DS but if it is obvious I think they do.

NannyNanny Mon 20-Oct-08 14:20:16

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what to do as there is obviously a problem but the mum doesn't seem bothered. I feel pretty helpless but I am so concerned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now