Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do I help him forget the "nasties"?

(3 Posts)
JimJammum Wed 15-Oct-08 21:43:48

My ds (21 mths) saw a Halloween display in a shop about 3 weeks ago - helpfully, nasty looking things hanging from ceiling. I tried to sheild him from them and distract but he saw and seemed a bit scared. Ever since he talks about it approx 3 times a day, talking about the nasties in the sky, although he is not tearful.
I have tried telling him they have gone, that he doesn't need to worry about them anymore etc etc but he is still bringing it up!!! He isn't having any nightmares though. How do I get him to "move on" and not fixate? I have been careful not to expose him to any more halloween stuff since, so he's not being reminded by it.

(can I rant that I think it is irresponsible of shops to put frankly scary displays right by the 18-36 mths books!!!! Mine can't be the only lo that has been frightened?)

SmugColditz Wed 15-Oct-08 21:46:30

let him talk about it. Talk lots and lots and lots, and tell him what they are - decorations. I think, rather than hiding all the 'nasties' away, you should take him back to the shop, explain to the assistant what the issue is, and ask if you can get one down to hold, touch, play with and generally get familiar with. And call them decorations, not nasties, they aren't nasty, they are plastic.

needtoask Wed 15-Oct-08 21:47:21

My lo was terrified last halloween by the trick or treaters, the masks, witches etc

we stopped answering the door
I am not sure what we will do this year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now