Talk

Advanced search

within reason is it ok to go over 5 bottles a day for 12wk old baby

(18 Posts)
bigboydiditandranaway Wed 15-Oct-08 20:50:23

my baby is 12wks old and 6kg, sometimes if she needs a top up i'll give her more but generally she has 5 bottles of 6/7 oz which is recommended on the milk cartons, is this ok and if she is more hungry some days would you give her an extra bottle?

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 15-Oct-08 20:51:15

DS at 17 weeks is on 6, go by your baby, not wjat is on the box smile

lulumama Wed 15-Oct-08 20:52:29

absolutely !! feed her what she needs as when, you will only distress her if you do not feed her when hungry

surely you have days when you are hugnrier than others? so do babies and coupled with frequent growth spurts, you need to feed responsively, rather than according to the side of the formula box

JODIEhadababy Wed 15-Oct-08 20:53:30

Gosh, I've never heard that. DS2 is 15 weeks and has 6 maybe 7 bottles of 6 oz a day. I just give him one when he's hungry.

At 12 weeks it's (Another) growth spurt (I think it's all just one big growth spurt imo wink)

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Wed 15-Oct-08 20:53:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnarchyAunt Wed 15-Oct-08 20:56:00

You can demand FF too smile

poppy34 Wed 15-Oct-08 20:57:16

agree wtih 5gomad -go by what she needs ... 12 weeks is paticularly hungry time (but not ime as bad as the amazing eating fervour that was weeks 3-5 when dd was drinking what accordign to the box is suitable for a 5month baby)

SmugColditz Wed 15-Oct-08 20:58:15

give the baby what she wants, she can't count. Ds1 drank roughly twice what the guidelines said he would. Was she a big baby at birth? They tend to drink more. Smaller babies tend to drink less. They are only guidelines.

bigboydiditandranaway Wed 15-Oct-08 21:07:27

ohh thanks, my vile fil is on the war path and was astounded that i fed dd 6 bottles, especially that she is a big baby, they make me feel overly anxious by things they say as they're quite critical.

Shall feed dd as she rquires then!!

SmugColditz Wed 15-Oct-08 21:08:52

yes, cos his generation of males really know what they are doing with babies hmm

Ignore. Ask us, not him.

poppy34 Wed 15-Oct-08 21:09:45

who died and made him a paediatric expert?

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Wed 15-Oct-08 21:09:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

feelingbitbetter Wed 15-Oct-08 22:50:00

God yes, demand feed. They are only guidelines. My DS is 17 wks old and has a medical condition which requires very strict feeding (every 4 hours) so you can see he has 6 bottles a day, still. It's a different case I know, but I suspect the greedy little tyke would have more if I would let him. Your baby decides how hungry they are, and if I recall, 12 wks was a particularly growth spurty time for DS. Your baby is a good weight, and you

feelingbitbetter Wed 15-Oct-08 22:54:12

Posted that too bloody soon, sorry.
......need to feed that weight. If its any help, and this is by no means a rule for every baby, we use the formula of 160ml per KG per day. So over the course of a day, your bub should have roughly 160 x 6 = 960ml. Divide that by 5 feeds gives you an average feed of 192ml. I'd say you're spot on.
Disclaimer: we use this formula due to DS medical condition. I am in no way preaching grin

meandmyjoe Thu 16-Oct-08 06:33:03

Oh God, ignore your FIL. Honestly, my Grandmother used to say I was over feeding ds. He was 8lbs 10 at birth and was always hungry. I think people of that generation tend to think that a baby should only be fedevery 4 hours and should be seen and not heard! Total rubbish. My ds was still on 6 bottles of 8oz at 8 months!

bigboydiditandranaway Fri 17-Oct-08 20:25:18

thanks, fil is a prat and thinks he knows it all and always makes me feel anxious when i should just ignore him.

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Fri 17-Oct-08 20:27:53

Blimey, DD was on about 14 bottles per day at that age! She'd have left home if I'd have tried to cut it down to 6. I've learnt to ignore everyone where DD is concerned. I know best!

(except you lot, obviously) wink

flourybaps Fri 17-Oct-08 20:32:50

I worried about what it said on the tin as well. But then again I worried about everything and nearly drove myself and everyone around me mad!

I remember crying to my midwife when dd was about 4 weeks old as she was drinking enough for a 3 month old (according to the tin)! blush

Loads of good advice on mumsnet, dont worry and just go with what your baby wants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now