Talk

Advanced search

ds is 4½ years old, doesn't sleep and won't be reasoned with

(9 Posts)
Mercy Tue 14-Oct-08 21:13:31

I'm afraid I smacked him tonight.

He hasn't slept through the night for 2 years. I'm tired, I'm fed up of him waking his sister, me and dh.

Ds is exhausted (especially since he started full time school 2 weeks ago) but will not give in.

He's also a fussy eater and didn't eat his packed lunch today so of course he's tired more than normal.

Bloody hell.

IotasCat Tue 14-Oct-08 21:16:05

bloody hell!

having a fussy eater is wearing enough for me

BoysAreLikeZombies Tue 14-Oct-08 21:22:11

What happened 2 years ago when he stopped sleeping through, Mercy?

You all sound exhausted sad

Mercy Tue 14-Oct-08 21:22:34

Iota, you're back!

I'm just pissed off - and having to realise that I have one fast learner and one less so (not that dh accepts that of course)

nell12 Tue 14-Oct-08 21:23:02

Oh Mercy, I do feel for you. Being exhausted and having a tired and grumpy son as well must be dreadful.

I am afraid I have no advice beyond what you probably already know... send him back to bed straight away, no eye contact, conversation at all (you are probably beyond that anyway smile)

Does he play any role in making his lunch? If he were to choose his sandwich filling, piece of fruit etc etc he may be more willing to eat it.

Have you spoken to ds teacher about it? Maybe someone else speaking to him and offering a reward (sticker?) if he sleeps through or attempts to eat his lunch may have an effect.

3littlefrogs Tue 14-Oct-08 21:26:15

gp, sleep clinic, psychological assessment? Have you tried any of those? It does sound as if you need some proper professional help. This must be having an awful effect on the whole family.

IotasCat Tue 14-Oct-08 21:30:33

Technically my cat is here smile

I have no idea what to do about poor sleepers, but my solution to the packed lunch was to give ds1 exactly the same lunch every day for the last 5 years (we do vary the flavour of teh yoghurts occasionally)

Mercy Tue 14-Oct-08 21:33:37

He's sick to death of stickers tbh (at least at home)

I blame dh to some extent. He's an excitable character who doesn't lisn't either.

Anyway I must try to get some sleep now.

Thank you all. I'm going to have a think about ht whole situation. It must start from us

3littlefrogs Tue 14-Oct-08 21:35:49

Children don't function in a vaccuum. Family counselling can be very helpful - and I speak from personal experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now