Talk

Advanced search

14 month old so whingy and clingy it's driving me insane

(3 Posts)
desperatelyseekingsleep Tue 14-Oct-08 14:29:52

ds2 has always been really clingy,but i kept thinking he would grow out of it when he could sit/crawl etc. Now he's very close to walking but is still a complete whinge bucket and will not let me put him down for a second without crying. It's really starting to get me down as it's been going on since he was about 8 months old. Anyone else's dc been this clingy for this long? Should I start trying to be firmer about not picking him up and leaving him to cry,or is he still too young? Any words of advice gratefully received!

meandmyjoe Tue 14-Oct-08 14:58:58

Yep, mine can be the same. My ds is 14 month and has been walking since just before his birthday but still whinges to be picked up but then just wants to climb all over me and reach stuff. He cries sooooo much and screams if I ignore the whinging. I've just got so used to him now that I just the way he is.

I really think it is just another phase, apparently at this age they are aware that they are separate to you but they are scared you'll leave them and rely on you to transport them everywhere, they only walk to explore so still want to be carried round and cuddled a lot.

It's tiring though when they are so grumpy and whingy. My ds has always been hard work but has got easier but still has horrendous days and throws whopping tantrums.

meandmyjoe Tue 14-Oct-08 15:21:10

Sorry, realised I just ranted and didn't advise (as usual!) !!! I am a big believer that they grow up quick enough as it is. Unless I am really busy I just pick my ds up although sometimes if I just think he's taking the p* I tend to use distraction techniques. I'll say something like "Ooo look there's a cup, can you fetch mummy the cup?" or "Joseph, can you see the birds?" and he runs to the window and looks up at the trees for birds which tends to stop the whinging for a while! I think just saying anything is a stupidly excited manner often works and gets him interested in something other thasn being attached to my hip. If he's really crying though I just pick him up, he's too young to be independant and not want his mummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now