Talk

Advanced search

Son scared of red light in smoke alarm

(6 Posts)
Cheeseycheese Tue 14-Oct-08 13:20:48

My son (4.5 yrs) is scared of the flashing red light in the smoke alarms (on the landings and hallway) and can't play happily in his bedroom without closing the door. At times he hasn't even gone to the toilet so as not to go passed the smoke alarm. Anyone have any suggestions on how to help him get over it? Is there a safe way to cover the alarms so that they still work? Many thanks

Lio Tue 14-Oct-08 13:22:17

Put some cotton wool and a plaster over the light? You can still test it by pressing the button that makes it shriek.

meandmyjoe Tue 14-Oct-08 15:24:52

My mum had to put a sticker over ours as I used to be scared of it when I was little. I still don't like red flashing lights. I went to blackpool when the pretty illuminations weren't on and there were just 2 big red lights on the tower to warn aeroplanes at night and I felt scared and this was only a couple of years ago. blush blush blush

EachPeachPearMum Tue 14-Oct-08 15:29:50

Sorry- I have no advice, just wanted to say 'aw bless' he sounds adorable!
Could you find a new toy with a similar light that he would fall in love with, and then not be disturbed by the smoke alarm one??

nobodysghoul Tue 14-Oct-08 15:33:02

Does he like Toy Story?
If he does you could tell him it's Buzz Lightyear pressing his buttons making sure they work at night time.

mrsgboring Tue 14-Oct-08 15:44:05

No ideas or advice here, but my DS is scared of the metal brackets that hold the radiator cover on the wall (which you can only see if you peer into the little hole at the top of the radiator). And fans. They are cute but mystifying aren't they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now