Talk

Advanced search

15 month old DD and play food

(5 Posts)
mrsmo Tue 14-Oct-08 10:45:13

Hi there, not sure if this is the best place for this thread but not sure where else to post. Have bought DD a toy till for crimbo and want to get some play food (fruit/veg) to go with it. Thought it would help encourage healthy eating, learning names, colours etc. However all the food I've found online says it's suitable for 3 years plus. Do you think she'd be OK with plastic fruit veg pieces (obviously wouldn't let her have anything tiny). Have found fabric/wooden ones but v expensive and would rather plastic as light and washable. Experienced Mums help please!!

savoycabbage Tue 14-Oct-08 10:46:55

I got my dd the vegetables that you chop up from ELC when she was one. They are quite big. I can't see that you would be able to fit them in your mouth.

She still plays with them now and she is nearly five.

freshprincess Tue 14-Oct-08 11:00:59

We got ours a set of plastic food for a toy shop from ToysRuS also said not suitable for under 3's.

The only thing in there that was a problem was the plastic coins so we threw them away. Everything else was huge.

Try to find it in a shop before you buy online so you can inspect beforehand. You'll know just by looking if you think they are too small.

BTW: if you have any packets or jars in the kitchen (ie packets for herbs) save these to use in the shop.

LaDiDaDi Tue 14-Oct-08 11:02:52

We bought dd plastic food last Xmas when she was 20 months. It also said not suitable for under 3 years but it was absolutely fine and she plays with it loads.

AMumInScotland Tue 14-Oct-08 11:09:48

Just look over the pieces carefully to make sure there is nothing which could come off and be a hazard - eg some have velcro so you can stick them together, if so make sure it's well attached. Lots of toys only say "over 3" because it's a lot of extra hassle for them to get the ok for any younger, not because there's any real risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now