Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for getting DS to say please and thank you

(9 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 13-Oct-08 09:33:46

DS is 2 and his speech and understanding is really good but we just can't seem to be able to get him to say please and thank you. Each time he asks for something it goes along the lines of:

DS: I want an apple.
Me: How do you ask for an apple nicely?
DS: PLEEEEEASE [shouting and in slightly sarcastic voice!]
Me: To ask for an apple nicely you should say 'please may I have an apple'
DS: PLEEEEEASE may I have an apple
Me: Good boy, here you are then [hands over apple]
DS: [walks off]
Me: What do you say???
DS: PLEEEEEASE
Me: No what do you say if someone gives you something?
DS: [begins to eat apple]
Me: You say thank you
DS: THANK YOU [shouting and in slightly sarcastic voice!]

So he will say it, but it almost as though he thinks the whole conversation above is part of the process of getting something, rather than just asking nicely in the first place.

Do you think he is too young to worry yet or should we be approaching it differently?

MoHayder Mon 13-Oct-08 09:39:17

The trick i use for thank you is to not let go of, in your case the apple, until ds has said thank you.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Mon 13-Oct-08 09:40:32

He's too young. He doesn't understand why it's polite to say please and thank you. Just keep reinforcing it.

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 13-Oct-08 09:43:21

DS2 is 2 we nudge him to say please when asking for something and don't hand it over until he has said thank you (DaaDoo at the moment) we did the same with his older brother and although he needs nudging occasionally most of the time he is very good with his Pleases and Thankyous (he is 4.5)

cory Mon 13-Oct-08 09:44:27

I was relaxed about it at this age. Modelled it, yes; suggested it at times, certainly; enforced it, no. And mine have not grown up into uncouth thugs whose bad behaviour gets remarked on.

(these days I wouldn't let go of the apple. But then my youngest is 8).

TrinityLovesHerVampireRhino Mon 13-Oct-08 09:44:33

I dont think he is too young

dont go and get him what he wants till he says it and then, like mohayder says, dont let go of the apple till he says thankyou

gecko is 20 months and says ank-noo
and peees

It'll just take time smile

MrsMattie Mon 13-Oct-08 09:45:49

He's too young for you to expect him to say please and thankyou. Just remind him relentlessly and eventually he will pick it up.

whatironing Mon 13-Oct-08 09:54:47

DS is 23 months, I would never expect him to say please or thankyou and I wouldn't require him to say it. I model and suggest and he seems to be getting there. I figure that he's too young to understand and I don't want to train him like a parrot!

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 13-Oct-08 10:31:02

Thanks, so he is probably too young to worry too much about it. Think we will just keep reminding him and hopefully he'll pick up from us saying please and thank you as well.

I like the 'ank-noo' and 'daadoo's that DC's say for thank you. DS used to say 'dadoood'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now