Talk

Advanced search

At what age do girls and boys typically divide off and stop hanging out with each other so much?

(9 Posts)
chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 12-Oct-08 21:24:15

I'm sure that there are exceptions but at what age does this typically happen in school?

chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 12-Oct-08 22:00:33

bump

Orinoco Sun 12-Oct-08 22:09:35

Message withdrawn

Tommy Sun 12-Oct-08 22:15:06

my nephew had a great (girl) friend from when he was about 2. They were really close until they both starting being interested in the opposite sex - 13 or so. I guess they were more like brother and sister

chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 12-Oct-08 22:19:06

Reason for the question is because I'm looking at a school which is mixed until year two but the boys are outnumbered 2 to 1 by the girls and I have a ds.

Tommy Sun 12-Oct-08 22:24:54

my DS is 6 (year 2) and his 3 best friends are girls. Don't know if that helps or not!

Smithagain Sun 12-Oct-08 22:25:50

As soon as they started Reception in DD's case, although she seems to play with a more mixed group now they are in Year 2.

chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 12-Oct-08 22:30:31

He isn't a particularly boisterous boy and whilst I can't imagine him playing with Barbies, so far he has plenty of stuff he likes doing which are not solely boyish things (major gender stereotyping going on here - apologies).

lilolilmanchester Sun 12-Oct-08 22:33:48

My DD is 11/yr 6. Recent party, almost half her guests were boys - and really good mates. Probably cos she has an older brother, and also because she does girly girl (makeup/clothes/jewellery) and tomboy (football/rough and tumble) in equal measure. I don't think she sees them as any different. Although there is starting to be a difference between boys she likes and boys she "likes" IYSWIM!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now