Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can someone advise/help on implementing a star chart please. Bit long I'm afraid

(12 Posts)
Posey Fri 10-Oct-08 21:03:47

We successfully used a star chart for ds for bedtime settling and staying in his own bed all night when he was about 3.5. He responded really well to it as he loved choosing his stickers each morning. It was easy to implement of course, a simple yes or no to both criteria. Yes he settled well and yes he stayed in his room all night, he got a sticker.

Now at the moment we are having some behaviour issues which need to be sorted. We have talked about them til we are blue in the face but ds still has more moments than we find acceptable of rude/angry/inappropriate behaviour. We have taken into account he's tired and adjusting to new school year, new classmates etc. But a star chart may just make him think a bit more about how he behaves and speaks to us and his big sister (his behaviour in school is good).
What I need help with is, how do we do it? Do we have the day split into sections or expect him to be impeccably behaved all day to get a sticker? What if he apologises unprompted? I feel pasta jars may be more appropriate but he loves the stickers on a chart. Could we do a combination? Count up pasta at the end of the day and give a sticker if he has pre-agreed pieces in the jar?
He's 5, in year 1.

All advice gratefully received smile

jenwa Fri 10-Oct-08 21:17:44

Can you make a chart that is in sections and each good behaiviour is rewarded with a sticker? I just made mine on the computer and then DD puts her stickers on in the box and you can design them to the right size then.

DD is 3 but I think you can design a chart appropriate for your DS.
I have a list of boxes
1 - Eating
2- getting dressed
3- sharing toys
4- Holding hands when out

etc and each time she does something she gets a sticker for good behaviour. I have rewarded her also for getting so many stickers by telling her she is allowed a small present for maybe 10 stickers and if she has been good. I got books that were on offer (5 for £5) and rewarded her with one when appropriate and she is alot better now at listening and doing as she is told.

I def think sections as you can reward for each good behaviour. Sometimes they may get a star/sticker for doing something well but then be naughty afterwards so I think giving a star/sticker for several things helps them to learn good behaviour and also is more fun for them.

jenwa Fri 10-Oct-08 21:21:58

My last paragraph meant to say that when you only give them one star/sticker a day then they may be naughty after that but if you were to give a sticker/star for each seperate time they were good they will learn more about good behaviour and it is more fun for them and an achievement each time (if that makes any sense!)

southeastastra Fri 10-Oct-08 21:23:13

ditch all the start charts now, if he misbehaves ignore him

notsoteenagemum Fri 10-Oct-08 21:23:51

I've only used charts for one or two specific problems but y friend has made a sticker chart for her dd's behaviour.
Every day is split in two if she does something 'good' she gets a small coloured sticker in the good section, if she does something 'bad' she gets a black sticker in the bad section.
A bad cancels out a good if she has 5 goods then she gets a big sticker for the day, 5 big stickers means she gets a treat at the end of the week.
Hope this makes sense but has worked for friend, she does give warning where poss for bad stickers eg do that again and you'll get a bad sticker.

Posey Fri 10-Oct-08 21:29:14

That definitely sounds good, thank you. I had thought of splitting the day but hadn't thought about separating the different behaviours. Maybe I'll get ds to help make the chart and he could think what behaviour he might need to change. He knows right and wrong, he just has a very short fuse unfortunately and doesn't think.

notsoteenagemum Fri 10-Oct-08 21:36:51

Yes definately get ds in on the chart making and sticker choosing, hope it works for yousmile

Posey Fri 10-Oct-08 21:41:19

Thank you!

fishie Fri 10-Oct-08 21:43:27

posey maybe consider triggers as well.

Posey Fri 10-Oct-08 21:58:51

You mean avoiding certain triggers? Things that set him off?

fishie Fri 10-Oct-08 22:05:22

not avoiding, working out what they are. (if any) and help him round.

Posey Fri 10-Oct-08 22:14:00

Good suggestion, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now