Talk

Advanced search

My last posting on Mumsnet

(33 Posts)
JuneBugJen Fri 10-Oct-08 19:15:24

Hi.

I've really come to enjoy all the debates and witticism on MN over the past few weeks but realised I have to go cold turkey on it.

Today I have spent the afternoon in A&E so my ds (age 1) can have a steristrip put on a nasty cut by his eye. It was an injury caused by my normally gentle dd (age 4) pushing him over because he turned off the TV once too often. She was tired after school so I popped on CBeebies.

And where was I? Discussing something 'quickly' on MN before we went to the park. I feel so guilty about it. I am a fool for trusting a 4 year old with a baby and feel sick about it.

I've realised I have been popping on too often over the last while when home. Just a minute here and there whilst doing the everyday things and didn't think it had much effect. But now I realise it was a bit like talking on a mobile whilst driving. Your mind isn't fully on what is going on around you, which in my case isn't leading to sterling childcare.

So, I'm an idiot and I just want to warn other parents to be careful how much they leave their young children alone. sad

Expect to be flamed to some degree, but thats ok as going to start the cold turkey right now. You are all entertaining women and I wish you the best. smile

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Fri 10-Oct-08 19:16:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sagacious Fri 10-Oct-08 19:17:23

No flaming here
Hope you're LO is ok
Have a break if you need to

(but you'll be back)

They're all back in the end.....

theSuburbanDryad Fri 10-Oct-08 19:17:33

Aww JBJ - i feel your pain.

Hope your ds is better soon, and that you can come back to us sometime!! smile

Lizzylou Fri 10-Oct-08 19:17:47

Oh, poor DS.
Don't feel too bad though, if you weren't Mning you could have been doing anything, although I understand your guilt.

Hope all goes well for you

hermykne Fri 10-Oct-08 19:18:03

june
step out and step back in when you want, thats my motto
mumsnet aint going anywhere but you are and have lots to do!

Ewe Fri 10-Oct-08 19:20:38

lol KM

Sorry to hear about your DS JuneBug Hope he is ok. It's awful when DC have an accident and you feel it is your fault, I had the same a week ago when I was so exhausted I bought DD into my bed and she proceeded to roll off whilst I nodded off!

I felt rubbish.

Maybe you could just not MN when DC are about? I tend to come on when DD is asleep or when I'm skiving working.

darkpunk Fri 10-Oct-08 19:21:57

so sorry about ds..but could have happened while you were doing anything..you can't be watching them every second of the day....don't feel too bad..

lol @ kerrymum

LackaDAISYcal Fri 10-Oct-08 19:22:04

Oh, I hope your DS is OK sad

And don't be too hard on yourself; it could've happened when you popped to the loo or to answer the door or something.

Come back soon.

meandmyjoe Fri 10-Oct-08 19:22:21

You're not a fool for leaving them. It's not like you left the house or anything. You can't live your life without turning your back on them ever or else you'll go nuts! The accident was just THAT... an accident, not your fault. It could just as easiely have happened whilst you were washing up or cooking lunch. You have to have a bit of time to yourself, you deserve it with 2 small children. I personally think, without mumsnet to reassure me/ allow me to vent/ entertain me, my ds would have come to a sticky end a long time ago smile. Don't blame yourself. If nothing else then keep mumsnet for after the kiddies go to bed! wink

LynetteScavo Fri 10-Oct-08 19:23:41

JuneBugJen - you are right.

Could you make a rule only to MN when they are asleep? But then that can affect your relationship with DS/DH.

There are some posters I truely worry about as they are on here so much!

fullmoonfiend Fri 10-Oct-08 19:24:01

oh poor you and poor ds. But as someone else says, it could have happened even if you were sitting watching Cbeebies with them. These things happen in a flash and it is all too easy to beat yourself up over it.

LynetteScavo Fri 10-Oct-08 19:24:54

I actually forgot to pick DS up from football today because I was on mumsnet. Luckily I was only 10 mins late!

Spidermama Fri 10-Oct-08 19:26:18

I think you raise a good point. I've felt guilty to note my dd hovering trying to get to talk to me while I'm MNing. I've now cut down my use significantly. I have to say that in my case the addiction did peak and is now far more manageable.

S1ur Fri 10-Oct-08 19:27:53

Sorry for ds, I'm sure he'll up nicely and quickly.

As for mumsnet as a cause, weeeeell, if makes you feel better my ds cut his lip open today when he tripped while I was...............

nearby! shock shock shock

My point is, I'm afraid accidents do happen and whether they happen while you are typing, chatting, putting the washing on or just right next to them is just unfortunate, but not neglectful.

Don't beat yourself, and go have a nice time in the big wide RL.

S1ur Fri 10-Oct-08 19:28:51

Yeah, post at night and join me and the other drunks twilight zoners.

darkpunk Fri 10-Oct-08 19:30:41

just checked how many times iv'e posted since monday ...77 posts shock

i am a sahm though with school age children...but still probably on here too much...

S1ur Fri 10-Oct-08 19:39:14

FGS darkpunk you are not trying hard enough.

<mutters> 77, pah, get thee posting missy.

grin

FAQ Fri 10-Oct-08 19:41:23

Slur - is my figure of 177 since Monday better? wink

Fwiw all 3 of my DS's worst injuries have occured while I was either doing something that had to be done (cooking dinner for example) - or while I've been sat there giving them my undivided attention blush

Aitch Fri 10-Oct-08 19:44:15

no flaming, june. sorry to hear aobut ds, but it is true that the accident might just as easily have happened when you were puttin the dinner on. smile hope ds gets better soon.

nickytwoooohtimes Fri 10-Oct-08 19:44:28

JBG, why not just mn when they are asleep as already suggested? I do that. My ds goes nuts if I glance at the paper in daylight hours, lol! 7pm onwards is my mn time. Or if he goes out with Gran so I can do 'housework', har, har.
DOn't feel bad though. Ds has incurred several injuries in his 2 years of life because I've dared to go to the loo without him or quickly nipped up stairs to get some washing. He's fallen and hurt himself while I've been watching him - that horrid slow motion thing. Kids hurt themselves - tis normal.

lulumama Fri 10-Oct-08 19:45:10

don;t be daft june !!!

i left DS & DD with DH about a year ago, when i went to see a client one night... i got back to hear DH shouting and yellinng for teh phone, as DD had fallen off our bed and had vomited everywhere, he thought she had vomited blood but it was juice (which i had never given he before!)

so these things do happen, a responsible adult was looking after the DCs and DD still hurt herself.

you are not a fool. everyone deserves and needs some down time.

don;t leave!

<<blanks from mind the day DD fed the dogs a jumbo box of raisins whilst I was on MN>>

LynetteScavo Fri 10-Oct-08 19:50:42

I've never even come across you befor dark punk. YOu need to post more.

I've had a light week, and I've only posted 75 times.

But then I am Mumsnet Royalty. <<preen>>

darkpunk Fri 10-Oct-08 19:51:09

lol slur.. it might only be 77, but they're all rubbish...not one tiny word of wisdom

Divvy Fri 10-Oct-08 19:52:28

Go on, admit it! It was while you were eating the pot noodle wasnt it! wink

Dont feel bad, it would have happened if you had your eye on the ball 100% xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: