Talk

Advanced search

HOW TO TALK BOOK.........................

(15 Posts)
bythepowerofgreyskull Fri 10-Oct-08 09:36:47

thank you thank you thank you smile

I have lurked on some of your threads about it and having ordered it from Amazon this morning was our first day after me reading the first chapter..
It has made a real difference to the way I reacted to DS1's ramblings. DH hasn't read it yet and his interactions with DS1 were as normal felt like they were bickering alot.

Am REALLY looking forward to the rest.
thanks again

bythepowerofgreyskull Fri 10-Oct-08 09:47:38

smile

RubySlippers Fri 10-Oct-08 09:48:22

totally agree!

i bought a copy 2.5 weeks ago after lurking on a lot of those threads

it is brilliant

Othersideofthechannel Fri 10-Oct-08 09:49:21

I've mentioned it a few times so can I take the credit for that ? grin
Glad it's useful.

bythepowerofgreyskull Fri 10-Oct-08 09:55:22

take credit!!
it is such a nice insight..

This morning DH made DS2's bottle of milk after breakfast.
DS2 handed it back saying it was too hot
DH - no it;s not I checked it
DS2 - Daddy! too Hot!
DH - Come on I am in a rush it isn't hot

now... it wasn't hot at all just warm, but he didnt accept DS2's opinion
Yesterday I wouldn't have noticed... today I sat down next to them
Me-oh honey you think it is too hot?
DS2-Yes
Me-Lets have a look (DH checked milk on his arm)
DS2 - OK
then proceeded to drink his milk.

took about the same amount of time as a disagreement but didn't leave any bad feeling.

lingle Fri 10-Oct-08 17:06:00

the person who gave me my copy said it was the book he wished so much he had had as a young father......

katiek123 Fri 10-Oct-08 17:28:23

oooh i am so glad it is being more widely read girls - i have had my copy for ages but dusted it off recently again and am really finding it helpful. it was recommended to me a few years back by a friend in washington.

my husband still says 'don't be silly' to the DCs sometimes but i am training him out of it wink!!

great little sketch there bythepower. has inspired me to keep going with the new communication strategies!

hanaflower Fri 10-Oct-08 17:30:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

katiek123 Fri 10-Oct-08 17:31:30

quick ps

bythepower - only thing i would say is my anxious DC1 was not helped by the (constant...) choices i gave her when younger and at her most tantrum- and frustration-prone. seemed to get overwhelmed and even more upset with too much choice to cope with.
the book makes much of choices but if i had to go back again to the 2,3,4 years i would go easy on that strategy. your kids might cope fine though...
good luck!

Othersideofthechannel Fri 10-Oct-08 17:35:49

grin Hanaflower

hanaflower Fri 10-Oct-08 17:53:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

katiek123 Fri 10-Oct-08 18:01:07

LOL hanaflower - will remember that at work next week!

Othersideofthechannel Fri 10-Oct-08 22:16:36

Oh I knew you were serious. I have also been using it on other adults both at work and socially!

lingle Mon 13-Oct-08 11:53:58

DH and I also love the period detail cartoons with the record players, 70s clothes, etc.... hope they haven't updated these to mp3 players in new editions.

Our favourite is the cartoon where the parents says; "what did you do at school? is anyone coming over to play? why not?".

phdlife Mon 13-Oct-08 12:03:11

I am in process of trying to order it but having amazon grief hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now