Talk

Advanced search

when do babies learn to say yes and no in context?

(13 Posts)
dontbitemytoes Fri 10-Oct-08 08:25:23

just wondering because my dd seems to say yes with a nod of her head and no with a shake of her head in perfect context. Is this just coincidence cos she seems a little young? Have to say i do find the "noooo" quite amusing at the moment, although i'm sure the novelty will wear off grin

shinyshoes Fri 10-Oct-08 08:27:38

My friends baby says yes and she is 11 months.

How old is your baby?

dontbitemytoes Fri 10-Oct-08 08:42:37

sorry dd is 13 months. she was saying yes or yeah" from about 11 months too, but recently we've acquired the nod (makes her fall over, very funny) and the noooooooo.

give that she seems the same as your dd it must be around this time they learn to say it in context, it just seems very funny to hear her express her own opinion so clearly ;)

triggerfish Fri 10-Oct-08 08:55:51

I did baby signing with both of my sons which gave them the chance to communicate from quite an early age. Both signing yes, no, more etc.. from 12 months onwards. very rewarding and would thoroughly recommend it!

dontbitemytoes Fri 10-Oct-08 09:01:51

thanks trigger, we do signing too! dd loves being able to sign, the favourites are dog, cat, bird, duck, fish, more, tree, flower, drink and all gone. its great isn't it!! she picks them up so quickly!! makes up for all those months of signing at her when i thought she wasn't watching grin.

the only downside (i think) is, she wants to communicate about everything, and when she can't she gets incredibly frustrated!!

triggerfish Fri 10-Oct-08 09:17:14

I look after my niece who is now 16 months. She loves signing too! Its great when they sign stuff and you wouldn't have had a clue otherwise. How on earth would she be able to say "I'd like my hairbrush" without signing?! Its so lovely to see, every day she learns new signs and just copies everything you teach her - I can't speak highly enough of it!

meandmyjoe Fri 10-Oct-08 19:29:07

My ds is just 14 months and shakes his head for no and say 'des' for yes, it's very sweet when he shakes his head, he's been doin it since he was 12 months I think.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Oct-08 19:32:22

DD said NO fairly emphatically from about 14 months but didn't develop YES till 20 months hmm

Mungarra Fri 10-Oct-08 19:32:48

My DD is 10 months and she says something like 'yes' when you offer her food that she wants. She doesn't seem to say 'no' yet.

PumpkinPatty Fri 10-Oct-08 19:38:30

DD has been saying no for a couple of months now (she is 15 months), in fact she usually says NO! NO! NO! (cos once is just not enough!).

She doesn't say yes, but if I ask her something like 'do you want a snack?' she oftten does an excited yelp which I translate as yes

Plonker Fri 10-Oct-08 19:44:57

My dd is 15 months and has said 'yes' for a few months now (well actually she says "yes pees" ...very sweet grin)

She has just learned to say no, over the last month say - and its always a really cross "no!" accompanied by a wild shake of the arm, lol.

This is a fabby age grin

SmugColditz Fri 10-Oct-08 19:45:45

Anywhere between 6 and 30 months.

woodstock3 Sat 11-Oct-08 19:58:45

well ds is 16 months and says 'nooo' (with vigorous headshaking) and 'yeh' for yes pretty accurately. but at first there was a lot of 'no' when he meant 'yes' or vice versa - i think they just get carried away with the excitement of being able to say something (and particularly with the Power of No) at the beginning rather than it accurately reflecting what they wnt. (there was a similar stage when almost every bloke he saw was greeted with a rapturous 'daddy', including our rather surprised builder)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now