Talk

Advanced search

Calming techniques for hyper 4 yr old

(8 Posts)
oscybella Thu 09-Oct-08 22:07:40

Any advice? Ds has always been very hyper. He runs around like a lunatic and can be quite aggressive at times (although I feel he really doesn't mean to be). He also shouts everything he says which is really getting to me. I'm more worried about these things now he's started school.

Dottoressa Thu 09-Oct-08 22:11:36

Ah, the delights of DSs. I am too worn out by my DS to say much of any use, but running around like a loon and being aggressive seem to come naturally to most boys (even ones who, like my DS, like reading and drawing and don't watch TV, don't play computer games, and hate sport in all its forms).

Have you tried telling him that you can only hear him when he doesn't shout? That often works with my DCs.

oscybella Thu 09-Oct-08 22:16:32

I'll try that one thanks!

Overmydeadbody Thu 09-Oct-08 22:21:17

RE the shouting, everytime he does it say in a very calm quiet voice "use a normal voice please".

When DS runs around like a lunatic it's because he's been overstimulated and can't handle all the information and stimulation he's suddenly encountered, the best way to calm him down is to remove the stimulation, or remove him from the environment that is over stimulating, and hold him tight to me in a hug, while calmly talking soothing things to calm him down.

He is 'odd' to say the least, but there's no reason why these techniques won't work on 'normal' boys too grin

oscybella Thu 09-Oct-08 22:35:20

What sort of soothing things? Do u have the same problems?

oscybella Thu 09-Oct-08 22:36:49

I try to hug him but he struggles away from me

Anifrangapani Thu 09-Oct-08 22:38:35

Gaffa tape and enough wine to blot the noise out grin

coppertop Thu 09-Oct-08 22:45:46

If your ds doesn't want to be hugged you can use other techniques to apply the same amount of deep pressure to help calm him down. My hyper ds2 likes to be sandwiched in between two big cushions and have someone push down on him (not too much pushing obviously!). Rolling him up in a heavy duvet is also something he loves.

We also have one of those mini-trampolines with a handle (about £15-£20 I think) and ds2 bounces on that for a long time to help calm himself down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now