Talk

Advanced search

Behaviour since starting school

(4 Posts)
Mummyella Thu 09-Oct-08 11:30:25

My dd started school a few weeks ago and is doing fine there - teacher says she is totally helpful and lovely in class. At home she has transformed into 100% monster shock. She has had her moments in the past but generally she has always been a sweet, affectionate, kind, helpful child. In the past week she has ripped a hole in the new carpet, written on furniture, hit and kicked me, pulled wallpaper off, fought wih her little sister. She has been having huge wailing tantrums and laughing at me when I try to do anything to manage her behaviour. Help! Don't know how to deal with this. I know that she is tired but she refuses to go to bed in the evening. It is all so out of character. She says she loves school. Should I try to ignore, or get tough? Will she calm down???

mankyscotslass Thu 09-Oct-08 11:35:13

I think it's normal. When DS started school full time he had regular meltdowns as he was so tired. The first term is the worst, leading up to Christmas, it's such a long term and they get so tired. Just make sure she has plenty of chill time and early beds!

It does get better, I'm going through it again with DD who just started Reception this year, and it's easier now I know to expect it!

blueshoes Thu 09-Oct-08 12:12:26

Agree it is tiredness. My dd is also totally different at school - just had our parent-teacher meeting, she is polite, helpful and participative in class. At home, well, she is a different animal. Though it has calmed down after about a week. Hopefully your dd will settle down as well.

Dd also refuses to go to bed any earlier than 8:30pm. Also loves school and has loads of friends. We still pull her up for bad behaviour even though she is tired, but always give her the option/remind her to go to bed earlier, which she rarely takes us up on. I think just parent as you normally would and things should calm down soon.

Mummyella Thu 09-Oct-08 12:34:07

Thanks for the reassurance. Gives me hope that this is not goodbye for ever to my lovely little girl. I have been feeling so sad as well as exhausted. I will just hang on in there and hope that things start to improve. Funny thing is, the only time I get good behaviour from her is when her sister is kicking off. At least they virtually never start up together grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now