Talk

Advanced search

14 month old does not climb things

(20 Posts)
bumbly Tue 07-Oct-08 19:55:41

is very placid and calm generally

but other toddlers of age been told should be climbing up stairs, furniture, everything in sight and be very active

mine only climbs stairs and not interested in clambering up anything else and is not that active

walks a bit but then stops and wants to be held

deaconblue Tue 07-Oct-08 20:28:02

I would enjoy it while it lasts. Mine was an angel in all ways til 20 months (he's 2 1/2 now). He now climbs everything, runs away whenever possible and last week bonked my mum on the head with a dinosaur

Lakota Tue 07-Oct-08 20:43:35

Mine was never much of a climber either (aside from up the stairs, though not obsessively) and still isn't, at 3 and a half. Made life a lot easier that he wasn't able to escape from cots etc. It's really nothing to worry about, and 14 months is still little to be doing huge amounts of walking. It'll come.

nickytwoooohtimes Tue 07-Oct-08 20:45:50

Ds didn't climb until he was nearly 2.

It is a pain in the arse now!
He inherited my laziness, but got my talkativeness too = poor kid. grin

louii Tue 07-Oct-08 20:47:39

Mines was never a climber either, still wouldnt be interested at 3 1/2, so much less hassle.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 07-Oct-08 20:52:20

enjoy grin

my 16 year old DD is a climber and it's a bloody nightmare.

Mind you it has got worse in the last month or so, so there's time yet bumbly!!!

Habbibu Tue 07-Oct-08 20:54:25

Wouldn't worry about the climbing, bumbly. Gradually increase the amount he walks, or hold for a few steps, then put him down again. DD has only just started to walk a lot now that she's almost 2, and she's not a great climber. I'm thankful, tbh - makes life a lot easier...

MegBusset Tue 07-Oct-08 20:56:45

Really don't worry

DS wasn't walking or climbing at 14mo. Now at 19mo suddenly he has turned into a little sprite and climbs everything -- the second your back is turned he'll be halfway up the windowsill/back of the sofa/balanced on a very unstable pile of toys. So there is plenty of time yet!

ceebee74 Tue 07-Oct-08 20:56:55

Daisy - wow your DD has aged quickly grin

My DS has never been a climber either other than the stairs and even now, at 2.3, it is hit and miss whether he climbs them himself or wants to be carried. He has never tried to climb out of his cot and only in the last few months does he climb on the sofa but that is to sit, not to see how high he climb on the back etc.

I really wouldn't worry about it smile

LackaDAISYcal Tue 07-Oct-08 21:05:04

pmsl ceebee....I mean 16 month old grin

ExtraFancy Wed 08-Oct-08 11:01:09

My 14mo DS climbs but doesn't walk! He can get all the way up the stairs/onto the sofa/coffee table etc but can only walk about three or four steps before falling on his bum. They're all different - don't worry

pgwithnumber3 Wed 08-Oct-08 11:04:12

My nearly 6 year old DD1 was like this as a toddler, didn't climb on furniture and didn't like walking much. She is now a tomboy who loves nothing more than going across the monkey bars and climbing to the top of the climbing frame. Enjoy it, makes life that much easier. smile

meandmyjoe Wed 08-Oct-08 11:14:03

envy my 14 month old is a nutter and scales up the sofa right on to the back and sits perched like an owl. He has my heart in my mouth and I'm constantly having to drag him down from things and stand read to catch him in case he falls. So just enjoy it! My friend's 22 month old is still like your boy and never climbs things.

katiepotatie Wed 08-Oct-08 11:21:05

My LO only just started climimg at 18 months, even though she's been walking since she was 13 months. Enjoy it while it lasts, your nerves will be in tatters soon enoughgrin

threetinytots Wed 08-Oct-08 11:24:06

Enjoy it while it lasts! It will come eventually, they are all different. My 12m old dd2 has only just started crawling - I have been truely spoilt.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 08-Oct-08 11:36:20

Lucky you. I'm thinking of sticking double sided tape to my 16 month old's feet and knees. She is a nightmare climber.

My playpen is a godsend and she is starting to show signs that she is going to be able to climb out of that soon. She can already get upstairs, onto chairs, beds, out of her high chair, out of her buggy. Honestly she has ants in her nappy or something. I constantly have to watch her.

Have you tried watching a baby in a buggy and a five year old while packing your shopping up? I turn around for one second and she has climbed out of her buggy and is crawling at the speed of light up the freezer ailse with dd1 gleefully chasing and encouraging her <sigh>. 'Tis the same at dancing. I look down to tie dd1's tap shoes turn around and dd2 is sitting/standing on the window ledge.

I am going to go insane if she does not learn that climbing onto high places is not the brightest of ideas.

threetinytots Wed 08-Oct-08 11:58:14

oh dear, seashells! I may have been spolit with dd2 but dd1 was/is a complete nightmare. She wants to be a stuntwoman when she's older grin.

Jojay Wed 08-Oct-08 12:03:23

My ds was like this - not too interested in climbing up slides etc.

Then I started looking after my god daughter on Saturdays, who is the same age but very agile and confident. I used to take them both to a group at our sports centre that has lots of slides, trikes, a bouncy castle etc and he would try to follow my god daughter around. It really built his confidence watching other kids having a go, so that may be the way forward.

I really don't think it's anything to worry about though smile

anniemac Wed 08-Oct-08 12:09:19

Message withdrawn

bumbly Wed 08-Oct-08 13:59:53

thanks to you all soo much!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: