Talk

Advanced search

Help: invited 10 kids for my son's 2nd birthday on Sat, any party survival tips?

(8 Posts)
Gemzooks Tue 07-Oct-08 10:53:57

DS is 2 today, got a bit over excited (me, that is) and invited loads of kids over for a kind of birthday tea on Saturday.

Have not been to this kind of party since I was 6.

Does anyone have any survival tips? I thought of the obvious things like a cake, jelly and ice cream, sandwiches, snacks etc, but what about games? The guests will mostly be aged 1 to 3, so quite young. Is it a good idea to put some different toys out or playdoh etc, and put away DS's most beloved bedtime animals. He will hate the kids playing with his toys but love the excitement.

Any tips MUCH appreciated!

stealthsquiggle Tue 07-Oct-08 10:57:16

No jelly and ice cream unless you have somewhere for 10 children to sit grin

Finger food is the order of the day

Resilient toys only - not playdoh unless you are mad you have a very washable house and no carpets

Can you empty a room and just put CD player and balloons in it - they would be happy with that!

Drinks for parents (DH's job in our household)

possibly a pass the parcel?

Balloons to take home

More balloons - and some extras for when they get popped grin

savoycabbage Tue 07-Oct-08 11:03:57

Make a list of games and songs that you can play. It's really hard to think of them at the time.

Hokey Kokey
Musical bumps
pass the parcel

Go to Staples or somewhere like that and get some stickers for prizes.

I got my dh to make some balloon animals. They loved that.

ClareVoiant Tue 07-Oct-08 11:25:43

Big room (if you have one). Ride on's, tent with balls, lots of toys. Lots of balloons. Don't bother with games, 2year olds just don't get it. Nursery rhymes or kids songs cd. Let them play for 40 mins or so. Birthday tea and cake, away from toys, preferably sitting at table. Few more mins play. Party bags on way out. 1.5hours max and 3hrs clearing up smile

jotc13 Tue 07-Oct-08 19:39:11

Hi

Happy Birthday to your little one! My dd2 is 2 next week and we are also having a party for 10 of her friends... and I'm also having last minute doubts! We don't have anywhere uncarpeted so we've hired the village hall but it's not going to anything fancy - we're calling it an Ooey Gooey party and are going to have lots of messy activities. She is also very vocal about what she would like and has requested the Hokey Cokey (will be very popular with the mums on that one!) and we've been practising musical statues. Other than that its going to be lots of dancing and a bubble machine (£2.75 in Tescos at the moment). We've decided against pass the parcel in case of reluctant children who won't pass...

Whatever you do they will love it - have a great day...

Jo

Gemzooks Tue 07-Oct-08 20:10:40

thanks everyone!

like the idea of ooey gooey Jotc13, though not brave enough to do it at home. We do have laminated kind of floors, like in a hospital, (currently contemplating home birth for second DC and that aspect of it would be ok!). so mess is not a prob really.

after work today I went to Hema, a kind of Dutch Woolworth's here in Amsterdam where I live, and bought loads of blowy noisy things, balloons, paper plates etc. so at least that's sorted. think they will prob enjoy bubbles, playdoh and running around dancing to music.

jotc13, hope your dd has a lovely party too!

Starbear Tue 07-Oct-08 20:24:59

I got over excited this year and invited 20 yes 20 children with parents to the house.blush Last year was great as it was sunny and not soooo many. Wait for it I ONLY have a two bedroom house! It went strangly well. Cleared out the shed (problem now everything is still out of the shed getting water damaged)
smileMake a list of all the things that you want to do from the list above. (not too many) Write it down and stick it on the wall when a friend 'says can I help you with something' say 'yes' and give them a job off your list.
Get another two or three parents to do parcel the parcel. Give someone the camara and ask them to get various people to hold children up say cheese.
Good luck and tell us all about it when its finished so I can pick up more tips

somersetmum Tue 07-Oct-08 20:45:41

DON'T play any games - or maybe, have a couple on standby, but don't be surprised if they don't play them.

They are very young for a formal party with games. It will probably be the first time that some/most of them have been to a party, so it could be very overwhelming for them.

The best thing to do is clear a room and fill with your ds's toys, plus maybe a table for colouring and a bit of sticking. Let them all decide what they want to do - don't have any structure.

Have fun!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now