Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of the dummy at 15 months old

(3 Posts)
Clare123 Tue 07-Oct-08 09:42:53

Hi, I am trying to decide what to do about the dreaded dummy! I have not liked him having it from day one, but as he had colic and was a very difficult baby I must confess it has been a godsend! However, now that he can walk and has started to say the odd word, he doesn't seem like a little baby anymore. I see a lot of really old toddlers (3 yrs) with them, and I don't want to do that. I have heard a lot of people say that they want to wait until they can explain to their toddler why they can't have a dummy, but does that make any difference?? Has anyone had any experience of this?? Do you think it was the right thing to do?? Or would you just go cold turkey now?? Has anyone had experience of doing it around a year?

Please help if you can. Thank you soooooo much!!

gegs73 Tue 07-Oct-08 09:48:13

Hi DS1 had his dummy until he was just 2. DS2 is 16mo now and still has his, though I try not to let him have it much in the day and just give it him for naps. I'm the same as you, I think dummys are brilliant but don't like the way they look.

I am very reluctant to get rid completely of DS2s yet as it really helps when he is teething or ill. Also as we are coming into winter and cold/virus season I definately want it to stay. DS1 went cold turkey with his except for naps in the day when he was 2. He had all his teeth through by this stage, he whinged for a couple of days then he was over it. Hope this helps

soon2be3 Tue 07-Oct-08 11:46:51

I chose the "cold turkey" method with my son on the day he turned 18 months.

He yelled for 3 days but he has been great since - and dummy free!

If he found a dummy, I allowed him to use it, but the moment he put it down somewhere, when his back was turned, I chucked the dummy into the bin.

He will need substitutes though - like lots of hugs and cuddles, lots of distractions (again, with hugs, cuddles and toys) and food such as water to drink and vegetable sticks to munch on (carrots, cucumber for example) and bread sticks are best, although grapes were a favourite too.

Also, a couple of months before going 'cold turkey', I restricted dummy use to only at home and then for nap and sleep time only.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now