Talk

Advanced search

2 year old has learnt how to propel himself out of his cot- what am i going to do!!??

(12 Posts)
ohnowhatnext Sun 05-Oct-08 16:41:25

Myself and family have just returned from a holiday. Whilst there DS was sleeping in the room with us, in the cot provided by the hotel. On the last night I woke to hear DS absolutely hysterical and when I jumped out of bed to investrigate he was sitting on the floor NEXT to his cot, thankfully not injured but he must have literally catapulted himself over vthe edge!!

Last night he woke in the night again and had a full blown tantrum in the middle of the night. He was trying to get out of his cot and would have suceeded but in the end I gave in and took him out to sleep on the floor next to bed with me (a very uncomfortable night!!)

I am now really worried as I didn't feel he was ready for a bed yet, but he is going to be at risk of hurting himself surely if he continues to do this- does anyone have any words of wisdom or experienced the4 same and how have you dealt with it?

DisasterArea Sun 05-Oct-08 16:44:16

time for a bed.

dooneygirl Sun 05-Oct-08 16:44:30

I had to put DD in a bed at 13 months, because she figured out how to climb out. At that point, a bed was much safer than her cot. I just put her in a bed that was low to the ground and had rails almost all the way around, and she was fine.

Guadalupe Sun 05-Oct-08 16:46:41

Oh dear. Once they discover they can do this it tends to be habit forming. My 20 month old has been in a toddler bed for four months!

First springing out was an accident, then he climbed on the cot bumper. Then he could get out without a cot bumper even on the lowest setting and from then on he was masterful at leaping over with one hand. grin

We have a toddler bed next to our bed with a stairgate on the door. It was a nightmare getting him to stay in at first, lots of sitting and trying to creep out as he got sleepy but now he tucks down and says bye and blows a kiss and goes to sleep. Good luck!

AMumInScotland Sun 05-Oct-08 16:47:13

Same here - DS in bed from 15 months. If you get a low bed, or even just a mattress on the floor there's less distance to fall. Or put something soft on the floor beside a higher bed till he gets the hang of getting in and out safely.

Twiglett Sun 05-Oct-08 16:49:46

of course it's time for a bed .. he's 2 and can get himself out of his cot ... that's time for a bed in anyone's book

S1ur Sun 05-Oct-08 16:51:10

Yes def time for a bed. Not sure why you are waivering really.

Twiglett Sun 05-Oct-08 16:54:46

I assume this is your oldest child as it always comes as a shock when you realise that they're developing so fast

makes you feel old having kids grin

ohnowhatnext Sun 05-Oct-08 16:57:08

I feel a bit daft now really, as everone is saying its time for a bed!! he is my first child and I just wasn't sure when the 'right' time is. Will look into getting a bed then, am dreading the transition as cannot see him staying put for more than five seconds but i suppose it must be done!!

S1ur Sun 05-Oct-08 16:58:44

Don't feel daft, s'ok to wonder - they do seem awfully small when they go into a 'big' bed.

You might be surprised, some children just don't think to get out....

Of course most are a nightmare! grin

mummybex Sun 05-Oct-08 17:35:38

time for a bed. my youngest daughter needed a bed at 13 months - unfortunately, had to be a very high one, so spent a month or two sleeping on a mattress first. Handy tip- fleecy sleepsuits - unless your son already sleeps with a duvet he is likely to keep waking up very cold. possibly take the side off your son's cot until you get a bed.

Lovage Sun 05-Oct-08 19:01:24

We just moved DS (2) into a bed and it was a fortnight of hell and now he's absolutely fine. Goes to bed without crying, snuggles down under duvet, so cute. So bite the bullet, it might be tough for a while but you will get there!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: