Talk

Advanced search

Could mothers of c.14 -18 month olds please come and tell me the words they say already?

(73 Posts)
Inevergivemychildrensweets Sat 04-Oct-08 19:28:54

Ds is 16mo

His words so far are:

'Bang'
'No'
'Mama'
''kyou' (thankyou)
'hela' (hello)

None of these is particularly clear.

is this a bit on the slow side or is he well within average?

Please if you could list the words your child knows I'd be grateful!

Thanks x

Inevergivemychildrensweets Sat 04-Oct-08 19:29:53

Ps my elder one had about 10 words I think by this time and I don't know what's usual.

SharkyandGeorge Sat 04-Oct-08 19:32:47

My DD is now 2 but at that age she had NO words at all, lots of sounds but no proper words. I would say your DS is well within the normal range. I spoke to my health visitor and they said it wouldn't even be looked at until she was 2.

She is 2 now and has come on loads since then, gets new words everyday and is slowly getting there, still behind some of her peers but they can't all be the first.

chibi Sat 04-Oct-08 19:34:03

dd is 16 months and can say

cheese
shoes
juice
ta
yes ( well actually 'ya')
hi

I think this is normal. None of hers are all that clear either - I wouldn't trust a stranger to know what she is saying. That said, she uses them appropriately.

Inevergivemychildrensweets Sat 04-Oct-08 19:34:32

Oh that's good - thankyou smile

Yes these are my interpretations rather than full on words really - they don't sound quite like I have written them!! But seem consistent to mean something iyswim.

He mutters and rambles a lot too. It's very funny to watch grin

LackaDAISYcal Sat 04-Oct-08 19:34:39

My DD (also 16months), has quite a lot (maybe 20 including a few names), and seems to be adding one or two every day, but don't fret about the number of words per se; there is a huge range of what is considered normal at this age. Talk to your HV if you are at all worried.

TheBlonde Sat 04-Oct-08 19:35:11

no words here at 18 mths

Inevergivemychildrensweets Sat 04-Oct-08 19:36:02

Am seeing HV next week, he missed his 8mo check, she is cross with me blush

TheBlonde Sat 04-Oct-08 19:37:59

She probably just wants to give you your bookstart pack

AbricotsSecs Sat 04-Oct-08 19:41:24

Message withdrawn

Lurkinaround Sat 04-Oct-08 19:42:51

DS is 21 months and says lots but nothing very clearly yet.

Says

'Nenenene' while shaking head for 'no'
'Disdis' (Dennis - cat's name and said for any kind of animal!)
'Ooooh-deh' - Oh dear
'Dar-dar' for Charlotte (DD's name)
Tries to say MakaPaka and Daisy for Upsy Daisy and says 'BA-BA!!' for SpongeBob!

I think there must be other things he 'says' but can't remember just now. It's amazing how they can let you know what they want without words though!

I would say your DS is doing really well and nothing to worry about. One of my nephews was saying nothing distinct at well over 2.

mmelody Sat 04-Oct-08 19:45:44

DS 15 months says
Cat
Daddy
mamma
dog
no
He also hums the syllabls and tones of words.

Inevergivemychildrensweets Sat 04-Oct-08 19:45:45

Lol the blonde!!! grin

Yes I know 'nenene' it is more accurate version of what we get here.

I think girls are coming out on top here...

FrazzledFairyFay Sat 04-Oct-08 19:49:17

My DD was saying loads at this age, but DS (15 months) is only saying 5 or 6 and even those are only really recognisable to us, apart from 'hiya'.

georgimama Sat 04-Oct-08 19:50:20

DS aged 18 months can say quite a lot, about 30 "words", some more or less distinct than others but obvious attempts and consistently used ie Oooseee is Lucy, our dog.

At 16 months, a lot lot less, maybe 10?

Don't worry.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 04-Oct-08 19:51:53

A good point made by others though, is that if he is managing to communicate with you successfully in other ways then there is probably no reason to worry. And also does he understand what you say?

There is a huge range of abilities on the June 07 postnatal thread from a few words, to loads of them.

EachPeachPearMum Sat 04-Oct-08 19:54:33

My DD didn't say anything until 17/18mo except-'uh' and point.
Then she said 'Mama' 'Papa' 'Nana' 'more' until about 21 mo.
She's 2.8 now, and completely fluent speaker- talks like a 4 year old!

PeppermintPatty Sat 04-Oct-08 19:56:41

I think first children tend to speak sooner then subsequent ones and girls tend to speak sooner than boys (disclaimer - obviously this is not true in every case).

I wouldn't worry about him, it sounds like he's doing fine.

StealthPolarBear Sat 04-Oct-08 19:58:04

DS is 17 mo
The odd mama, dadee (not every time he wants us though), yumyumyum and lots of UHs (accompanied by pointing and sometimes feet stamping)
Taaaaaa (in a comedy accent)
That's it really, we've had periods of thinking he's said single words but never consistently or repeatedly
He still makes himself understood! it is frustrating though, esp as he seems to be ill a lot - would be nice if he could say where it hurts

Inevergivemychildrensweets Sat 04-Oct-08 19:59:51

lol! Eachpeach that's quite decadent - 'Uh'!

Daisy thanks, I will go and read some of the thread maybe - he does come and show me stuff, doesn't know how to point yet though hmm
I'm not sure if he understands much. Sometimes I say 'where's the cat' or 'where's ds1' and he looks round, but doesn't say anything or gesture if he sees them. I think he hears me. Just maybe thinks I am asking a stupid question so no point answering grin

Inevergivemychildrensweets Sat 04-Oct-08 20:00:56

Stealth sad

poor thing!

ShowOfHands Sat 04-Oct-08 20:02:07

DD is coming up for 17months. She says:

hiya bye up more mummy daddy grandad grandma mamgu no yes thank-you horsie sheep cat dog monkey yellow green tree car keys grass stones hot cold book ball cheese potato yoghurt beetawix fish apple banana yum yuk kiss uh-oh man look head hair nose teeth belly toes tickle bath bed blankie train brush night chair daisy lola bella balloon bubbles boat stick bike park swing drink bird dance stairs shoes socks hat trousers good girl spoon bang baby cook splash jump boing

Sure there's more but they're the favourites. She's good at animal noises and bits of songs too.

Inevergivemychildrensweets Sat 04-Oct-08 20:03:36

<<pushes SoH off edge of thread and shuts door>>

<HARD> grin

musical baby methinks..?! Wow.

Pria Sat 04-Oct-08 20:05:24

DD 14months

Dada (alot)
Mama (rarely)
No (accompanied by vigourous head shaking)
Row Row Row (all she knows of row row row your boat, said when she wants a tune!)
Poo Poo (courtesy of 4 year old DS)

Don't think you've got much to worry about!

Inevergivemychildrensweets Sat 04-Oct-08 20:05:31

Although he did start to sing (in tune) 'half a pound of tuppeny rice' this afternoon - the words were 'ra-ra ra-ra ra-ah-ah- ...' then he just grinned at me and laughed.

And he tries to say 'gandad'

so that's about 6. He has always sung in tune to things though..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now