Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal?

(5 Posts)
evansmummy Wed 02-Mar-05 11:50:36

My ds is 11 weeks old and doesn't seem to do very much. He worries me because he nearly always avoids eye contact, turning his head when we look him in the eyes. Also, he doesn't make any cooing noises, and hardly any little noises at all except moaning when tired etc. He doesn't reach out to grab things and doesn't have any interest in anything except mobiles (especially a black and white one over his changing mat). I'm quite worried that he's not developing properly, but cos he's my first, I have no experience and so don't know what's normal. Can anyone help?

HunkerMunker Wed 02-Mar-05 11:53:16

My DS (11 months on Thursday) doesn't make eye contact if he's tired - never has. Your DS sounds fine to me - a lot of babies aren't interested in toys till they're older. Babies of 11 weeks don't see brilliantly clearly anyway - but the fact he likes his black and white mobile would suggest that he's seeing high-contrast things, which is exactly right for his stage of development. Don't worry, hun!

beansontoast Wed 02-Mar-05 11:55:36

hi evansmummy,
i remember thinking that too about my ds...espesh eye contact.he would look away alot...sometimes though he would look at his dad but not me!

Gobbledigook Wed 02-Mar-05 12:04:24

I think this sounds OK to me evansmummy - black and white is what small babies see best so that seems fine. I wouldn't particularly expect him to grab at things at 11weeks, I'm pretty sure mine didn't. Not sure they really did anything at 11 weeks actually!

I don't think you need to worry.

evansmummy Wed 02-Mar-05 12:37:42

Thanks so much guys for your replies. I've been reading too many books which say baby should be doing this or that by now. Glad to have your advice!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: