Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Older children acting like their younger siblings.

(13 Posts)
KerryMum Sat 04-Oct-08 13:11:03

ds1 is 10 at the end of November. His younger brother is 6 this month. ds1 "outgrew" toys like transformers, power rangers, etc. when he was about 4. Now lately that's all he wants to play with. Not only that but everything he wants to do is geared towards a younger age group (i.e. his brother). I mean his xmas list is identical to his 6 year old brothers!

wtf is going on here? He is petulant, shirty and just so freakin immature I'm about to blow a gasket.

compo Sat 04-Oct-08 13:14:03

blimey my 4 year old is only just getting into transformers, power rangers etc

Overmydeadbody Sat 04-Oct-08 13:18:19

Is he the chess wizz? maybe he's just balancing it all out?

notsoteenagemum Sat 04-Oct-08 13:20:00

Mine too compo and he had a transformer for his birthday that was for aged 8 by mistake and is ridiculously hard to transform.

Maybe he 'grew' up too fast Kerrymum and has realised he enjoys playing with his younger brother. I still loved Dolls and Lego at 10 although I didn't shout it from the rooftops at school.

KerryMum Sat 04-Oct-08 13:21:56

yes he play chess.

I'm befuddled because he threw all his old Transformer, power rangers, etc. toys away YEARS ago (well, in a bucket to be saved for younger brother) and wanted nothing to do with "baby" toys.

KerryMum Sat 04-Oct-08 13:23:13

but it's his general behavior as well. He's got to be the most immature almost 10 year old I know.

fullmoonfiend Sat 04-Oct-08 13:45:15

Kerrymum, I bet he's not! You should meet mine. Who is 11 at christmas.....
I think some of it is a reaction to the inevitability of 'growing up'. On one hand my ds is riding to school by himself and watching James Bond. The next minute he is crying over a stuffed sheep soft toy he wanted to buy!

KerryMum Sat 04-Oct-08 17:57:26

I can't think of any way in which ds1 is mature sad

kaz33 Sat 04-Oct-08 18:12:51

Same here - DS1(7)) is so immature, petulant, annoying, random - copying his younger brother (5)who is actually so much easier in many ways.

Liffey Sat 04-Oct-08 18:17:01

Oh boy I could have done this thread. My 3 yr old has speech delays and keeps taking off his clothes and screaming. Hard enough to deal with but his elder sibling (by 3 yrs) copies him just to exasperate me I presume.

mou Sat 04-Oct-08 18:23:09

My DS is 10 and we are going through exactly the same thing. He talks like a 5 yr old (age of DD), acts like a 5 yr old, plays with her toys, rides her bike...it drives me potty!!! And he has tantrums like 2 yr old. He gave his sister lots of his toys when she was small, and now causes massive rows about having them back. Can't get him to bed at same time as a five year old though!!

KerryMum Sat 04-Oct-08 19:05:18

why do they do this do you think?

Gerrard Sun 12-Oct-08 22:40:03

When will my baby sleep through the night he is 5 weeks old?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now