Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Speaking - should I worry?

(15 Posts)
wobblyknicks Wed 02-Mar-05 09:55:21

When should you start to worry about speech development?

DD is 20 months and has been having babble conversations (where she really seems to be talking to you but only makes sounds) since about 11 months and has been saying mama (for any person) and ba (for bye) for ages but has absolutely no 'proper' words apart from that.

She understands well, if you tell her to get her teddy, give you a hug etc she knows what to do but she can't speak.

popadopalis Wed 02-Mar-05 09:57:51

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. My niece is three in July and she has only just started to use words. She was the same, knew exactly what you meant and communicated with you but didn't use words.

Apparently Einstein didn't speak til he was three and look how he turned out!!

wobblyknicks Wed 02-Mar-05 09:59:56

Ok, thanks popadopalis, glad there's someone else with a slow talker, everyone else's seem to be quoting shakespeare by now!!!

(and would prefer it if DD didn't turn out to be a frizzy haired german )

PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 02-Mar-05 10:01:45

wk, ds2 is following the same pattern as ds1 with language development. Loads of babbling to all and sundry, and at 20 months, has 4, maybe 5 clear words. I'm not worrying (did with ds1 being first time anxious Mum) because when ds1 hit age 2, suddenly his language really took off and at 3.7, he's now incredibly articulate (says things like "Mummy, it's not appropriate to behave in that way" to ds2! - worried that he now sounds like a precious pita ).

popadopalis Wed 02-Mar-05 10:02:42

Good point!!

wobblyknicks Wed 02-Mar-05 10:03:52

Thanks puff, that does seem to be dd's pattern generally - take ages to do something then suddenly master it hugely. She wasn't a very early walker and spent ages just crawling but when she found her feet she was off, hope the speech will be the same.

coppertop Wed 02-Mar-05 10:18:30

If she's understanding what you say to her then she sounds fine. She's probably busy concentrating on other things (like who's that Hugh bloke whose face is on Mummy's walls and ceiling? )

Ds2 is 24 months and I might as well be speaking in Martian for all he understands. Bizarrely though he does have frizzy hair and really has started to develop a German/Austrian accent. He sounds like Augustus Gloop from the Willy Wonka film. Dh is convinced that he's the reincarnation of Einstein. Yes, we have a truly bizarre family.

wobblyknicks Wed 02-Mar-05 10:23:24

You're probably right ct, is that why she makes lots of drooly noises lol!!! Lol @ your little Einstein reincarnation, does he want a trophy girlfriend then?? And for the love of god don't let him go near the chocolate fountain, we all know what'll happen

snafu Wed 02-Mar-05 10:23:46

Wobbly, my ds is the same age as your dd and is exactly the same. He babbles on and on and has a few 'recognisable to mummy' words but that's it really. My mother has started with the old 'shouldn't he be talking by now?' crap but I'm determined not to let it bother me in the slightest.

If her understanding is good then I really don't think it's an issue at this age. Actually, I rather like hearing ds have babble-conversations on his toy phone - he even waits to 'listen' to the pretend person on the other end - soooo cute! Her grasp of communication is obviously fine - she just needs recognisable words now!

wobblyknicks Wed 02-Mar-05 10:27:33

Thanks snafu - my dd does the phone thing too, she has about 4 of them and will bring you one so she can chat to you!!! She even (and this shows I'm on MN too much) sits on my lap with her phone, types on the keyboard and alternates between moving the mouse and talking on the phone!! Have thought about putting her in a suit and getting her an admin job!!!

coppertop Wed 02-Mar-05 10:28:23

<drools at the thought of chocolate>

Ds1 had a Scottish accent for a while but we blamed it on CBeebies. God only knows where ds2's accent has come from. I must get it on video before he outgrows it. He's a bit of a ladies man so I'm sure he'd be more than pleased to have your dd as a girlfriend.

wobblyknicks Wed 02-Mar-05 10:31:58

Lol at the mini-ct accents!!! Must warn your ds that dd is massively into kissing and hugging and that I can't guarantee her mental state, you just have to look at the mother!!!

coppertop Wed 02-Mar-05 10:44:32

Ds2 loves hugs and is always trying to kiss us. They'll make a great pair.

Look out for the posts on Totsnet about awful 'MILs' and dilemmas about whether to wear Huggies or Pampers on a first date.

wobblyknicks Wed 02-Mar-05 14:09:38

LOL, excellent!!!

wobblyknicks Wed 02-Mar-05 14:11:06

btw, dd is a definite Pampers girl, no dilemma there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now