Talk

Advanced search

How do I keep (or even PUT) a coat on my 3 year old???

(11 Posts)
Luxmum Fri 03-Oct-08 10:15:33

... I am beginning to look like the real neglegent mother, my toddler has no choice, so he wears his jumpers and coats, but DS1 is three, and everything is now a battle, and he just WONT put his jacket on, no matter what bribery or sheer force is used, the coat just comes straight back off. Any tricks I should be aware of, as it is ok-ish now, it's not TOO cold, but it will soon really be getting worse, and he has to wear something!! He already wears the usual undervest, and jumper, but the coat is just a no-no..

3littlefrogs Fri 03-Oct-08 10:19:17

Make him a poncho? The idea is to keep him warm - so anything will do. I did this with ds1 at that age. What about a cape - he can be a chracter of some sort? It is a phase and phases pass, and can usually be got round with a bit of lateral thinking.

3littlefrogs Fri 03-Oct-08 10:19:58

character. My spelling is hopeless when i don't put my specs on.

IAteDavinaForDinner Fri 03-Oct-08 10:20:22

Staples? grin

BigTeuchLittleTeuch Fri 03-Oct-08 10:21:03

get out two coats and ask him to choose one - this seemed to work with DS from before he could speak, and saved the wrestling.

Or get him an over-the-head number?

cheesesarnie Fri 03-Oct-08 10:22:54

teach him to put it on himself by laying it on floor-hood facing him,he puts his arms in holes and swings back over his head(im not explaing well)thats what ds2 does so he likes putting his coat on especially when he has audience.

nellyup Fri 03-Oct-08 10:25:17

My ds did this. And seriously, what I did was to let him go out without a coat. Didn't care what other people think, just asked him to put it on, if he said 'no' then no battle just went out with me carrying coat. Guaranteed, if it was cold enough, 2 mins down the road 'Mummy I want my coat on'.

Or, you could try teaching him that trick they do at nurseries to put it on himself - where you lie it flat on the floor and they put arms in and flip it over their heads.

LilRedWG Fri 03-Oct-08 10:25:57

I think I must be a neglegent mother then. DD is two and if she says she won't put her coat on I just say okay and carry it. She soon asks for it when she gets cold. TBH, I've stopped giving a toss if people think I'm a bad mother with regards to her wearing a coat.

I use the MN mantra - Pick Your Battles!

nellyup Fri 03-Oct-08 10:26:28

X-post cheesesarnie! So hard to describe that 'putting it on yourself' thing isn't it. Guess you just need to see it.

LilRedWG Fri 03-Oct-08 10:26:28

Nelly. SNAP!

cheesesarnie Fri 03-Oct-08 10:26:47

nellyup-thats what i was trying to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now