Talk

Advanced search

Late walking, 'tis probably nothing but just tellme if I should do something about this...

(54 Posts)
Bensonbluebird Thu 02-Oct-08 11:20:01

DS2 is nearly 17 months and still crawls most of the time. He took he first steps just before he was 1 and his walking has been developing verrrry sllllllowly since then. He will walk a fair way holding my hand (with regular stops to poke things with sticks). When he does walk his right foot is turned out slightly and he drags his foot a bit. The reason I have a slight worry about this is that MIL has one leg longer than the other.

Does it sound like DS2 may have a problem? or is dragging a leg totally normal? Should I take him to see the HV?

JoyS Thu 02-Oct-08 11:26:52

I just posted about my 2.4 yo being a bit slow. She walked at 19 months and did the leg dragging thing. I spoke to the HV about it who pointed out that she has very flat feet and said it would correct itself as she walked more, and it has.

She also has very small narrow feet and long legs and I think she just couldn't balance easily.

If you're worried about it, do take him along to the HV or GP. My HV said that as long as they're bearing weight on their legs and feet there's no need to worry until they're 2.

Bensonbluebird Thu 02-Oct-08 11:33:00

Hmmm, thanks for that. I had wondered if it was because his feet are small (he is a 4.5 but off the scale for height). He is just so different from his brother in that respect. His big bro just got up and walked and that was that.

Congratulations on the jumping!

vonsudenfed Thu 02-Oct-08 11:35:05

DD was just the same - only really walked at 17 months, and walked on the outside edges of her feet for a while.

We had the same advice from the Dr as Joy - as long as they are weightbearing, there is nothing to worry about. (FWIW a friend of mine's dd was not weightbearing at that age, and they did a lot of investigations, before deciding that the problem was that, as the youngest of four, she was just getting her sisters to carry her everywhere...)

In our case, we realised that DD is slightly hypermobile (both I and my mother were the same) and so is wobbly because her joints were more flexible than usual. Does this sound possible for your DS? We bought a pair of shoes that were high around the ankles, and this really helped her.

Alsp interesting that Joy's DD has narrow feet - so does mine, had never thought about that as a factor too.

Bensonbluebird Thu 02-Oct-08 11:52:02

Ah ha! I'm hypermobile. Maybe that is it.

I think I just need to let go of the idea that he 'should' be walking by now (he has spent the summer plastered in mud from crawling around outside).

Oliveoil Thu 02-Oct-08 11:56:15

dd1 walked at 17 months
dd2 walked AT 22 MONTHS!!!

22 MONTHS!

lazy children mine

it is hard, very hard, when you go to toddler groups and an 11 month old walks by your 22 month old shuffling on her arse to get to the toys

my HV said both mine were fine (I got them checked out) but it is hard to not worry isn't it?

Bensonbluebird Thu 02-Oct-08 12:07:37

They are concentrating on their brains rather than their legs...

Oliveoil Thu 02-Oct-08 12:47:18

I hope so!

iirc I did quite a few threads worrying and moaning but all is well now, they are 4yrs and nearly 6 yrs

dd1 is not v good at running and climbing etc and I think she may have some issues there but not linked with late walking imo

dd2 runs like a cheetah

scattyspice Thu 02-Oct-08 12:52:22

DD walked at 30mnths! She was a champion bottom shuffler.

Bensonbluebird Thu 02-Oct-08 12:54:00

Wow scatty! you must have got as good at patching bottoms as I am at patching knees.

Oliveoil Thu 02-Oct-08 12:54:11

dd1 didn't even crawl, just kind of dragged her left leg along behind her like a wounded soldier grin

nct73 Thu 02-Oct-08 12:57:37

DD didn't walk until 17m. She finally crawled consistantly forward at 11m then 2 weeks later pulled herself up with a walker and started toddling round room. Everybody said would walk soon but no, it dragged on and on. She did suffer from fluid in her ears and it was suggested this may have been effecting her balance. I was told not to worry as long as mobile & active. DD was also big on books, puzzles and chattering so agree that concentrating on brain. They all do stuff at different times/speeds. As long as you feel DS is well, happy & generally developing dont worry about age DS reaches each milestone.

Oliveoil Thu 02-Oct-08 12:59:02

I have just done a quick search on my name and I am on 44 threads waffling on about walking hmm

it is hard to not worry isn't it?

HereComeTheGirls Thu 02-Oct-08 13:00:18

My DD is very nearly two and still only cruising. She can't yet walk holding our hands. She is hypermobile and has slight hypotonia. We have still been told she will walk and be fine. So I don't think you have anything to worry about at all!!

HereComeTheGirls Thu 02-Oct-08 13:01:35

Yes I agree with toddler groups being hard Olive, I have always got the only crawling 2 year old in the room!

scattyspice Thu 02-Oct-08 13:02:23

Benson, I used to put her in a rainsuit thingy to shffle round the garden/park/nursey LOL.

OO were yours late to potty train? Only DD is 3.6 now and still incontinent, GP thought it might be connected hmm.

FioFio Thu 02-Oct-08 13:03:21

Message withdrawn

FioFio Thu 02-Oct-08 13:04:13

Message withdrawn

Oliveoil Thu 02-Oct-08 13:05:28

no to late potty training

both around the 2.6yrs mark, dd1 great, dd2 still has accidents at least once a week (grrrrr)

HereComeTheGirls Thu 02-Oct-08 13:05:38

Yes, a shoe insert might help a lot, my DD has one ankle which is much more hypermobile than others and tends to go inwards, she "walks" much better with the inserts in her shoe.

Oliveoil Thu 02-Oct-08 13:06:34

my friend had a baby 4 days before I had dd2 and when we used to meet up, her dd was walking at 9 months (!), and mine could only just sit up

HereComeTheGirls Thu 02-Oct-08 13:09:20

It's quite funny though, people assume my DD is younger as she is petite and still crawling, so get a real shock when she talks in sentences!!!!

Bensonbluebird Thu 02-Oct-08 13:35:42

Yes re the rainsuit Scatty, DS2 has had a LOT of wear out of his.

My hunch is that if I take him to the docs or HV now they will probably tell me to go away and stop worrying, so maybe I'll leave it a month or so longer.

JoyS Thu 02-Oct-08 14:37:55

Think it must be the small feet bensonbluebird. DD1 only really gave up crawling when we visited my parents' giant open-plan fully carpeted house. Our teeny semi just had too many obstacles and the floors are slippy.

All her little friends were walking for MONTHS before she did, it was so disheartening. Also got really tired of the grubbiness, never realized floors in starbucks etc were so filthy!

yomellamoHelly Thu 02-Oct-08 14:47:13

Ds1 walked 6 weeks before his 2nd birthday. Was expert within less than a week.
Having had ds2, though, who is very delayed (21 months and not sitting), I would say go and get a referral to the paediatrician and don't get fobbed off. Go back with your dh if you need to. They're the only ones who know whether there is anything to worry about or not. Follow your gut feeling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now