Talk

Advanced search

My toddler is scrambling my brain!!!

(11 Posts)
clouisem Wed 01-Oct-08 17:09:51

we all cant wait for our kids to talk and when they do, we wish they never started.
My DS never EVER stops talking from the momment he wakes up till the time he falls asleep, my HV says it normal for toddlers to talk lots, which I understand and agree with... but my DS, really NEVER stops he has a very deep loud voice, it actually hurts my head. If he is not talking AT me or TO me, he is giving a running commentry of what he is doing at ALL times. I always know when he doing anything naughty as he is saying it as he is doing it. When I take him out, he talks to EVERY single person thats passes by, also a running commentry of whats going on around. I cant take him to any friends houses or have friends round as I can not get a word in edge ways. He really wont let me talk. Driving is a nightmare when trying to concentrate on roundabouts/traffic jams etc and he is going on and on in the back of the car. (had a few near misses because of his chattering)
He is an only child, HV says its normally children with siblings to compete against that talk alot.
When I go out I never see/hear any other children talking so much or so LOUD!!! It feels like my brain is being scrambled as he wont let me think... I need PEACE!

I dont know if he has a problem keeping things in his head, or if he really is just a chatter box. Lots of people keep telling me its normal for toddlers to chatter.......... but really THIS MUCH!!!

RaggedRobin Wed 01-Oct-08 22:55:12

this might sound like a silly question, but what is his actual interaction with you like? for example, if you ask him a question, will he answer it? or does he just stick with his running commentary?

the reason that i ask is because my son talks all day too (you have my sympathies!!) but he has difficulty in moving from his running commentary to interact when i ask him a question: he is kind of stuck on his own agenda iyswim.

anyway, if your son has difficulties in taking part in a conversation/turntaking/answering questions as a result of his constant chattering, it might be worth getting a salt referral (my son has his 2nd salt appointment this month).

not sure if this is relevant to you or not!!

clouisem Wed 01-Oct-08 23:18:03

What do you mean by salt referral? what is that?

clouisem Wed 01-Oct-08 23:31:11

If I ask him a question he will answer it and he is very helpful and knows exactly what is going on......... most of the time more than I know whats going on!! He is only 2.5 years old.
I think we interact well, if he asks me a question I will answer it to the best of my knowledge. I do chat back with him as much as I can.
If thats what you mean

ClosedForCleaning Thu 02-Oct-08 11:43:15

smileI have one of those.

Share him around - give him friends, neighbours, random strangers to talk to. Does he go to nursery? Maybe you he would like it. It does indeed scramble the adult brain. I don't think he's doing anything wrong or abnormal, but you are certainly entitled to some space.

clouisem Thu 02-Oct-08 12:30:36

He goes to a childminder twice a week. While i work part time.

nct73 Thu 02-Oct-08 12:48:34

I too have a chatterbox DD 21m. As sentence structure has not been mastered yet it comes across as a stream of random words, a kind of word association game and we have to work out what she is on about, repeat it back to which she says yes & nods enthusiastically before going on to the next stream. Usually it's events over the past couple of weeks, memories of people or books we have been reading. When out, it's a commentary of things we see - tree, lady, boy, bike, plane, sky, the colour of every car, van, bus etc. It is lovely but can be wearing especially at bedtime. It is hard not to be drawn into her little conversations.

clouisem Thu 02-Oct-08 13:10:37

nct73- Yes this is exactly what he is like, its really hard when you out at supermarket trying to think what shopping you need, and have a toddler totally confusing you by non-stop talking in my ear. MUMMY MAN, MUMMY LADY, MUMMY BOY, MUMMY YUM YUMS, I always end up forgetting half my shopping ......... he has taken my memory away from me
I just was not sure if it was me, but it seems this is all normal.
This morning he was running around the house saying IM RUNNING IM RUNNING the whole time he was running then it was MUMMY I HAVE STOPPED MUMMY I HAVE STOPPED non-stop!!! Sometimes I laugh about it, but other times its hard, especially when trying to think about something and he wont shut up.

HonoriaGlossop Thu 02-Oct-08 14:08:02

I know this MUST drive you mad but I love the sound of his little running commentary grineven when he's doing something he shouldn't - bless him!

He sounds a bright little button. I think interaction with him is of course really good and important but I think you have to allow yourself to zone him out at times, like trying to remember shopping; just talk over him to tell him "I can't listen at the moment, I'm thinking" and then ignore while you do what you need to do. Similarly in the car, for safety! Will he listen to CD's or CD stories in the car? I find a music CD is the only thing that WILL keep my ds quiet in the car!

In a few months he'll be getting the 5 free pre-school sessions, won't he - you might find that is the start for him of learning about taking turns re talking. And it might tire him just that bit more so that he has a quiet moment or two!

He does sound lovely though

clouisem Thu 02-Oct-08 14:52:00

I have tried ignoring him after I have answered the same question 5 times. I do put music on in the car which makes him shout louder to be heard. I put a DVD player in the car for a while, but he just wanted me to keep changing the disc (difficult whilst driving)
Tried the im thinking, please be quiet for a moment. To use the phone I have to go out into the conservatory and lock the door, as he can open doors. He goes mad at this, screams and bangs the door!!
He starts pre-school in Jan got to pay for his sessions until easter when he will get 2 free sessions, this is what pre-school have told me.

RaggedRobin Thu 02-Oct-08 15:35:10

woops - obviously not relevant to you at all then! salt = speech and language therapist - sounds like the last thing you need!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: