Talk

Advanced search

How much talking is 'Normal' for a 2.5 year old?

(19 Posts)
clouisem Wed 01-Oct-08 14:35:11

This may sound funny, as we wait for our kids to talk and when they do we wish they never started.
My DS never ever stops talking my HV says it normal for toddlers to talk lots, which I understand and agree with... but my DS, really never stops he has a very deep loud voice, so it may seems worse because of the volume. If he is not talking at me or to me, he giving a running commentry of what he is doing at ALL times. When I take him out, he talks to EVERY single person thats passes by, also a running commentry of whats going on. I cant take him to any friends houses or have friends round as I can not get a word in edge ways. He really wont let me talk. He is an only child, HV says its normally children with siblings to compete against that talk alot. When I go out I never see/hear any other children talking so much or so LOUD!!! It feels like my brain is being scrambled as he wont let me think... I need PEACE!

RuthT Wed 01-Oct-08 19:55:14

It sounds like you have a hugely extrovert child and you may well need a bit less input and be happy with silence.

Slickbird Wed 01-Oct-08 20:08:58

My eldest DD started babbling early and apparently babies are meant to stop or go quieter for a couple of months then the babbling returns....Not my girl. Oh no, she kept babbling, then she learnt to talk (loudly) and now she's nearly 8 and she still hasn't shut up. Sorry. I think it's just one of those things. sad

Slickbird Wed 01-Oct-08 20:11:03

P.S. Your son and my daughter will probably end up on stage when they're older and call everyone 'Darling' grin

cmotdibbler Wed 01-Oct-08 20:13:50

My Ds talks all the time too, and about everything - he's 2.4.

His cousin was the same, and aged 14 does loads of drama, dancing, and singing. He still talks all the time !

NotBigNotClever Wed 01-Oct-08 20:23:18

Both mine are like this. Dh says "God, they just never stop quacking, can't think who they get it from." (Hmm, and they are half-sibs, so I can't deny that it has to be me)

Slickbird Wed 01-Oct-08 21:18:52

LOL! grin

clouisem Wed 01-Oct-08 23:21:50

Me and my DH think he should be on stage sometimes, he loves dancing and singing.... in between his non stop talking!
so am I destined for a life of non stop talking until he finds an outlet for it??

tortoiseshell Wed 01-Oct-08 23:25:50

My 2.5 year old is only just starting to get a few words sad

clouisem Wed 01-Oct-08 23:39:25

Just starting to get a few words, you are lucky, my nephew started at about 2.5 probably later, he is 3.5 and talking perfectly, at pre-school doing really well.
This is why im not sure about my DS he is talking sentences at 2.5, even people without children know what he is talking about. and sing nursery rhymes he fav is ten green bottles, which I never taught him! His childminder said she has a CD he listens to.
I dont know if this is all normal as only have my nephew to go by.

NorthernLurker Wed 01-Oct-08 23:44:44

Tortoiseshell - my dd1 said practically nothing until after her third birthday! She is now (aged 10) hugely articulate and it seems unbelievable that when she was 2.5 and said 'stupid horse' that was a major event! Two whole words - we were so thrilled hmm When her sister was born she said to me once 'go find baby' and again I remember it because she said so little. Very communicative always but not with words.

NorthernLurker Wed 01-Oct-08 23:45:18

should have said she was 2 years and 8 mths when dd2 arrived

clouisem Wed 01-Oct-08 23:56:00

My sister was worried about my nephew because of my DS, there is 10 months between them. We were not sure which one was 'normal' or 'ok' the HV says my nephew is absolutely fine no probs with speech etc........ all I get from her about my DS is that 'he really has no problem communicating his opinions does he!! with one eye brow raised!!'
Im just not sure if he has a problem or has a gift??

chuckeyegg Thu 02-Oct-08 07:25:53

tortoiseshell- Was relieved to read your post I thought I was the only one. My DS is 2 and not really saying anything much.

tortoiseshell Thu 02-Oct-08 08:13:25

chuckeyegg - you're definitely not the only one. I do worry about ds2, because his speech is so behind where ds1 and dd were at the same age.

clouisem - the answer is they are both normal. Can't quite understand why you would think your ds1 has a problem? And tbh, early speaking isn't really a 'gift' as such - any more than a child that walks early is gifted at walking. If I were you I would enjoy the fact that he can express himself.

It is very hard for ds2 because he KNOWS what he wants, but can't yet put it into words and gets very frustrated.

clouisem Thu 02-Oct-08 12:40:25

Thanks for your help, has put my mind at rest. Its hard when its your first child and you dont know what to expect. I just thought it was me going out of my mind with his non-stop talking. When everyone I know seems to have some peace and quiet. I cant wait for him to start pre-school, hopefully having a room of people his own age will give me rest.

Slickbird Thu 02-Oct-08 14:24:23

clouisem - Just while I remember, our friends wee girl, Marni, is two days older than my eldest DD (nearly 8 now) and when they were 2.5 Marni was incredibly articulate enough to make people go, "oh my God! Did she just say...?!' But she took bloomin ages to grow teeth and wasn't as quick on her feet. Whereas my DD had more teeth a lot earlier and was faster on her feet....They're both still friends and both developed absolutely as they should in the end. I think, at that age, the body or brain seems to concentrate more on one thing or another, which is why you hear so often people saying, "Oh they all develop in their own ways". It doesn't sound like the fact he is able to talk that's the concern, just rather that he won't shut up, and I as I said before, I'm afraid, that may just be like my DD - something you have to put up with! That doesn't stop it doing your head in tho...!!! grin So you have my sympathies there!

worley Thu 02-Oct-08 14:39:12

my ds2 2.3 is the same, he talks non stop and if i dont answer when he calls me the first time he starts shouting and gets angry!! you can almost ahve little conversations with us. his brother was completley opposite and didnt really start saying much till he was over 3. ds2 went to nursery the same as ds1 is and everything else the same just different personalities i guess.
i do agree with what slickbird said and often think he is ging to end up on stage or something. he already sings along to songs on the radio, he may not have the right words but he knows the tunes!!lol

clouisem Thu 02-Oct-08 14:57:59

One of the things I was thinking/worrying about was when he started school, would he know when to shut up and listen, I dont want him to be sent out and not learn anything also dont want other kids to suffer from his chattering.
Was contemplating private day school for him ... after reading some of the advice maybe a should send him to a performing arts school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: