Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a brilliant sleeper trun into a nightmare? Can anyone help?

(13 Posts)
Megglevache Wed 01-Oct-08 11:42:59

I am so tired. I know I have been lucky with dd (she is 16 months and brilliant) The last two weeks her night time sleeping has turned into that of a newborn. (it's even scared dh and I off having another anytime soon)

She goes down at 7.30pm really happy, then it's anyone's guess but will almost definitely get up at 1am/2.30am/4am then she'll wake properly at 7.30am- She started signing for milk which I gave for the first coupel of nights then I stopped and gave her water and do that now. She had a temp on the first couple of days but now seems fine.

She looks so awful, a shadow of her former self,run down and tired not to mention what it's doing to all of us as a family.

<yawns>

WowOoo Wed 01-Oct-08 11:48:02

I've always had nightmare sleepers.
Prob doesn't help but they do have phases of good/ disturbed sleep.
Could she have been having mega growth spurt and need more calories in the day? (fed mine at night still when he was 16 months)
Think illness often seems to coincide with huge steps in learning with us also. She may be interested in her room, more aware of noises etc.
Hang in there, she'll recover soon and hopefully settle herself into sleeping better and you'll be feeling better.
My ds is still a pain and woke me at 5:16, raring to go. But, he's actually got a cold and needs to SLEEP.!!!

CatIsSleepy Wed 01-Oct-08 11:51:41

dd has always been a good sleeper (she is nearly 2 and a half) and recently we had a month or so of her waking up in the night, 2, 3, 4 times and doing lots of shrieking. I had no idea why, and didn't really know what to do about it.
she got really grumpy too
then suddenly-back to normal
completely bizarre really (unless the whole thing was teething-related as she was cutting her final molar but she has never woken up with teething before)

so it may be that old chestnut, just a phase!

Megglevache Wed 01-Oct-08 11:55:33

Do you think so Wowoo?I know we've been lucky with her(mine are always outrageously bad sleeper when newborn (not even sleeping during the day- awake for 14 hour stretches) Then they've gotten to about 6 months and it's been bliss.

The thing is she barely eats or drinks anything she's so dinky but I really don't want her thinking it's ok to do this at night but feel awful a the thought of denying her anything as I feel she needs it IYKWIM?

Megglevache Wed 01-Oct-08 11:56:26

CIS, I'm really hopin so. I 'm so tired I'm not coping very well at all. sad

WowOoo Wed 01-Oct-08 11:57:04

Oh yeah and teeth. Hope I didn't sound patronising.
Get someone to give you a break/let you sleep in late/ early nights etc if you can too.
I think the shreiking is a kind of nightmare, increased awareness thing for us. Ds has woken me up and I think there is burglar in house but then he calms down saying "back to the train station please/no more lemons" or other bizarre phrases....

jojosmaman Wed 01-Oct-08 11:57:27

Ditto the others, ds does this sometimes, he's a great sleeper and then for seemingly no reason he wakes a few times a night for cuddles or milk for a couple of weeks before returning back to normal. I put it down to growth spurts or new developments!

CatIsSleepy Wed 01-Oct-08 11:57:28

sympathy megg- i felt like utter shite when all this was going on
and had no idea it would suddenly end so was starting to despair!

Megglevache Wed 01-Oct-08 11:58:49

Yes it's shrieking, I thought she'd fallen or really hurt herself the first few nights, no light moaning in the way I would expect someone to if they were just coming to.

You don't sound patronising at all, it's reassuring and nice that you both took the time to post.

Megglevache Wed 01-Oct-08 12:00:11

"no more lemons"

Thank god I came on here this morning, that has made me smile like nothing has ove rthe last few days.

Thanks.

<sigh>

WowOoo Wed 01-Oct-08 12:01:02

I think you're doing the right thing though or esle she'll learn that you can snack on milk at night if you don't eat your food.

My son regularly eats practically nothing and when I offer him a teeny plateful then he will wolf it down plus mine plus some more if he can...he's not dinky though, I jsut worry that he can't possibly have so much energy while eating so little.

Have to admit, I am soft when he's poorly though and give in to lots of snacks - as healthy as I can manage of course. Good luck!

Megglevache Wed 01-Oct-08 12:07:09

THANKQ opppps caps but too knackered to delete grin

Megglevache Wed 01-Oct-08 18:56:50

bump.

Any other ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now