Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nursery Problems or Paranoia!!!???

(12 Posts)
steph101 Tue 30-Sep-08 20:34:20

My dd has attended nursery since she was 6 months old (2 days a week) and since then she has grown into a lovely, happy, intelligent 2 year old. Since the start she has been in 2 different classes - a baby room and then toddler room (3 days a week) and in both the staff have genuinly seemed to like her and always had her best interests at heart, and she has been very happy in nursery. A couple of months ago she was moved in to "school room" and its completley different. Both me and dp feel that the staff dont really like dd and she is turning in to a different child. At home she is fine and has not changed but going to nursery has become quiet an ordeal and she either cries her heart out when we leave her or she just puts her head down and looks glum. I am not really sure if this could be put down to a phase or if I need to act upon this now and discuss it with the nursery. I am told by the staff that she is happy during the day however a lot of the times when i arrive to pick her up I find her playing by herself and not with the others.

Dd is my only one and I have no experience of nurserys and im not sure if I am just being over protective or paranoid tbh. Any advice would be appreciated!

mmelody Tue 30-Sep-08 20:37:02

I would follow your instinct. If she was happy before and not now then something is definately upsetting her.

MrsMattie Tue 30-Sep-08 20:38:23

What do you mean they 'don't like her'?

steph101 Tue 30-Sep-08 20:42:26

Just that they dont seem to be bothered with her, example = today she fell over on her face and i was told that it was her own fault as she had got up on to her knees at story time and toppled over face first instead of being sat on her bottom. She is just 2!! I am all up for rules but to blame her for falling over is a bit much IMO. Also when ever I have concerns like when I always find her by herself when I pick it up I feel like im always brushed aside.

tazmosis Tue 30-Sep-08 20:46:38

I had this with my dd1 when she moved between rooms when she was 2 - she went from very happy to be at nursery to very upset or very quiet when I dropped her off. I had concerns about one of the staff and how she was dealing with dd (for example she used to ignore her when I took her in the mornings, didn't greet her or pull her into the group at all)after sometime and my mum and mil voicing similar concerns I raised it with the owner. She took my concerns very seriously and the girl in question was moved to a different room away from dd. The difference in dd was immediate and very noticeable. I did agonise before raising it though as, like you, I thought I might be being overprotective or paranoid. But now I would always go with my instincts.

tazmosis Tue 30-Sep-08 20:48:36

steph - our posts crossed - I would definitely raise your concerns, that is not acceptable - your poor dd!

ruddynorah Tue 30-Sep-08 20:48:45

have they moved her up too soon to make space for another child in her old toddler room?

steph101 Tue 30-Sep-08 20:53:07

They moved her up early as she loved it so much originally!!! She has been there since July. The rest of the class followed her in Sept. I was hoping this would help as she knows all the other children. I wish she could go back or we could have the same staff in the new class - that would be fantastic!

MrsMattie Tue 30-Sep-08 21:13:19

steph - talk to the manager. That attitude sounds really uncaring and unprofessional. She is very young. nothing is 'her pown fault'. An accident maybe, but not her fault. Think you'll have to go with your instincts here. Something sounds fishy.

smartiejake Tue 30-Sep-08 21:47:28

I would be very hmm about a nursery that had a room for 2 year olds called "school room" Surely 2 years old is still young enough to be considered to be a toddler.

steph101 Wed 01-Oct-08 19:21:15

I spoke to the nursery today and they said they would do all they could to help. Fingers crossed! Thanks for you replies x

pooka Wed 01-Oct-08 19:26:50

Aged two and in a "school room". Is mad, and to expect such rigid behaviour is unattainable and plain wrong for a two year old.

DS is 3 and has just started pre-school, 2 afternoons a week and I would be very cross if they were expecting "pre-school " behaviour. He is still a toddler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now