Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How old was your LO when you stopped using a buggy for short distances?

(15 Posts)
PeppermintPatty Sat 27-Sep-08 20:24:02

And expected them to walk?

And how did you train your LO to walk safely on busy pavements / near roads?

Did you use reins or expect them to hold your hand?

I'm just wondering how you go about this really, and at what age I should start teaching DD to walk on the pavement with me safely (she's 15 months old).

PeppermintPatty Sat 27-Sep-08 20:44:35

Anyone?!

Wheelybug Sat 27-Sep-08 20:46:56

dd walked out of her buggy for short distances from the time she could walk (12 months) and it increased from there. I think the younger you do it the sooner they learn road sense. I did a combination of reins and hand holding. She loved being out of the buggy so it was often enough to say hold hands or you're back in the buggy but I did use one of the littlelife backpack rein things as she wouldn't wear conventional reins.

ChasingSquirrels Sat 27-Sep-08 20:48:05

I expected mine to hold my hand, ds1 obliged (and still does so happily), ds2 refuses to - I can hold his (death grip) but he then refuses to move. I used reins with both of them depending on the situation.

It depends on the distance, and your time presures. If you have the time walk - but be prepared to stop to examine everything. It's fun as long as you have the time.

AnarchyAunt Sat 27-Sep-08 20:48:29

DD was 4 when we ditched the buggy - but we don't have a car so our idea of a 'short distance' may be different.

I just had her hold my hand until I judged she could be trusted not to be daft. Reins are a pain IMO. They go the wrong way round lamp posts and all sorts on them.

Talked her through it every time we crossed the road, made her go on the 'safe side' too.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Sat 27-Sep-08 20:49:41

He has to hold my hand when crossing a road or going across the car park and he gets threatened with the buggy next time if he misbehaves.

CapricaSix Sat 27-Sep-08 20:50:46

Quite late actually, i was too lazy to walk veerrrrryyyyyy slllloooooooooowwwwwwwlllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy all the time. Besides, where i live is quite hilly too.

I even took dd to preschool in the buggy aged 3 the whole year she was there blush. But then, it was about 25 min walk away (my pace). iirc a bit later on we started getting the bus down/up the hill so she walked some of it.

However, if we were out & about with the buggy, of course she was sometimes out of it walking with me. She was always really good though, held my hand, and I was Very Strict about it, if she attempted to run off I would threaten to put her straight back in the buggy. So she learnt quite quickly that it wasn't worth trying. That was probably about 2 yo. But, bear in mind she wasn't a particularly physically boisterous child.

I did try reins once, early on, but dd thought it was hilarious to just hang there giggling so never again. Never needed them anyway, i know some people find them invaluable.

dd only ever once went to run across the road and i went absolutely ballistic at her and she never attempted to again! She is very good at crossing the road now -i feel safe letting her run ahead even if there is a side road to cross ahead (she's 5.1).

ChasingSquirrels Sat 27-Sep-08 20:51:42

mine will hold my hand (under sufferance) when crossing the road or in the car park - but he doesnt like it. threatening him with the buggy would defeat the object, he would happily be in the buggy! mostly he ends up on my shoulders.

PeppermintPatty Sat 27-Sep-08 20:53:42

THanks Wheelybug - where do you get a backpack rein thing from?

I tried normal reins (from Boots) on DD a couple of times and she just dangled from them like a puppet and cried!

Bramshott Sat 27-Sep-08 20:55:55

I expect I'll be in the minority, but we were still using one occasionally when DD1 had just turned 4. Not for a day out, but if I wanted to pop quickly round the shops at adult pace I'd give her the choice and she'd sometimes go for it. I think the last time was when I was pretty heavily pregnant with DD2 and DD1 was 4 and 1 month - but then came a natural break when DD2 was born and now she walks for miles!

Blimey - have just read that your LO is 15 months - was just about to post "DD1 has been much better about walking safely on the pavement since she's turned 5"!! I wouldn't worry about it yet - maybe start to introduce walking (with reins if you're happy with them - I think they're great for under-2s) at about 18 months?

PeppermintPatty Sat 27-Sep-08 20:59:03

Chasingsquirrels - My DD is like your DS2! She doesn't do hand holding either - she cries and tries to pull away. Either that or she flops to the ground!

So I always give up and put her back in the buggy.

Wheelybug Sat 27-Sep-08 21:01:24

here

QueenCrystal Sun 28-Sep-08 10:36:45

My DD doesn't like to go in the buggy unless she's really tired (but only 17 mths so i still have to take most places - am also v preg so cannot carry her far). She goes through phases of agreeing to wear reins and sometimes refuses to hold my hand! Had good advice from the child minder though - she has trained DD to hold onto the side of the pushchair if she won't hold hands. Seems to work for us.

PavlovtheCat Sun 28-Sep-08 10:51:08

About 18 months. We did not expect her to walk, she refused to go in the stroller.

We use it now for shopping trips or journeys when we need her sitting down/not touching/fidgeting, or if she needs a good nap.

Other than that she walks, and if she gets tired, she gets carried.

notsoteenagemum Sun 28-Sep-08 11:06:16

DD about 15 months for short journey like corner shop if not in a huge rush, anything longer and I always took the buggy tofillwithshopping-- incase she got tired. she was out completely by 2.3.
DS completely different only ran never walked from about 14 months I used to put him in the buggy as he was just too liable too run off and I don't do leads reins/backpacks. I would only use it for really long journeys from about 3 and stopped completely by 3 1/2, he' 4 now and asked to go to town in it the other day because he was tired.
Saw a girl who started juniors this time in the buggy during the hols thoughshock her mum said she won't behave in shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now