Talk

Advanced search

Trying to read / look at books with 11mth DS- impossible! Do you do it?

(4 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Sat 27-Sep-08 17:55:44

I am aware that I don't really sit down and read books with DS that much. He is 11 months old and I have tried to read some of the words to him but he prefers to play with them and eat them! I sometimes read a few lines of one or a really short baby book before bedtime (depending on his mood), but when I try to sit and look at those vocabulary / picture books with him he just grabs it and throws it about. I know he is still young and obviously won't really 'read' with me but is it bad to then just leave him on the floor to play with the books or do you think I should be more presistant in showing him them? I'm worried that he won't learn words otherwise but then again I do chat to him all the time and name things in everyday life so do you think that's enough? He doesn't see lions and cows every day though LOL so that's why I like to point these out in books, not that it really matters to an 11 month old eh?

mrsgboring Sat 27-Sep-08 18:00:03

You don't need to learn words from books - at that age I value shortish books with rhythmic words that sound good e.g. Hairy MacLary, as it's more enjoyable for them, and exposes them to richer, more interesting language than every day conversation.

My DS went through stages of being a nightmare grabber. I just used to give him a different book or toy while I read. The fidgety periods don't last long once they get used to sitting with a book IME.

christywhisty Sat 27-Sep-08 18:31:38

I wouldn't worry. DD now 11 would never sit on my lap with a book ever, much more interested in what was going on elsewhere. She virtually taught herself to read before she started school and is a little book worm now.

meandmyjoe Sat 27-Sep-08 18:43:12

My ds just the same. He's 13 months old and always grabs the book, chews on it then walks off and plays with it. I just let him get on with it and read another book to him. I have also memorised a few (sad, i know!) but then it doesn't matter if he runs off with the book or not. 'The hungry catapillar' and Thomas Tank's 'Percy in trouble' books are very easy to memorise and means when he turns the page when he's buggered off with it, I can remember what the words say so describe to him what is happening. Keep doing what you're doing. In my opinion he'll learn far more from every day conversation and will soon be asking you what all sorts of everyday objects are so his vocabulary will grow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now