Talk

Advanced search

What age to let them bath alone?

(20 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Fri 26-Sep-08 17:46:03

I am still sitting in with DS1 (2.6) although now he seems very independant in the bath. What age do you leave them to it more?

cornsilk Fri 26-Sep-08 17:47:14

7?

LadyOfWaffle Fri 26-Sep-08 17:49:38

wow ok, I need a padded loo seat!

glaskhamhasoneintheoven Fri 26-Sep-08 17:59:24

DS is 3.9 and very good in the bath but when DH left him for 2secs to shout me from the landing i went mental- no way would i leave him yet... maybe from 6+???

brimfull Fri 26-Sep-08 18:01:27

i still stay upstairs and hover and ds is 6

Pawslikepaddington Fri 26-Sep-08 18:03:32

I've been going to the kitchen since dd turned 4, but am always just grabbing my coffee and going back up again. She's v water confident and can swim, I always keep listening to her while I do it, and she's fine.

ComeOVeneer Fri 26-Sep-08 18:04:32

Ds is 3.10, dd is 6.9. They now at their insistance bath seperately. Each has there own bathroom, so I bath them at the same time and pop backwards and forwards between the 2 (on the same floor of the house, unless dd is having a shower, in which case she is one floor up in our bathroom). I tend to monitor ds more closely tbh as he has a tendency to try and saturate the bathroom,eat shampoo etc!

cornsilk Fri 26-Sep-08 18:05:33

My worry is that they'll try to get out and slip.

glaskhamhasoneintheoven Fri 26-Sep-08 18:09:23

yeah i agree cornsilk, and also my DS slides his bum up and down the bath, i also worry he'll fall backwards and hit his head.

nappyaddict Fri 26-Sep-08 18:36:24

i have left ds from about 10 months to bits and pieces upstairs. i never go downstairs though. i wouldn't do that until he was about 4.

SpookyMadMummy Fri 26-Sep-08 18:38:03

My Dd's are almost 7 and 4 1/2. They bathe together and I hover upstairs... its one time I actively encourage them to be noisy! grin

Simplysally Fri 26-Sep-08 18:40:12

My dd is 8 and I tend to sit with her as she likes the company (and to make sure she actually does some washing) but I was happy to leave her alone for a bit from about 5 onwards. I have to hoik her out though as otherwise she'd never get out!

OneBoyOneGirl Fri 26-Sep-08 18:43:15

My DD is also 2.6 and i don't leave her as i know she would definately put the whole contents of every bottle of everything in the bath!! If i do have to leave the room for extra towels etc then i talk to her whilst im getting them.

Martha200 Fri 26-Sep-08 22:34:59

I can't remember where I read it, years ago, but I remember reading something about 5yrs plus was the recommended age for being left alone in the bath, as it doesn't take much for a child to drown even in the bath

My ds is 5 and he likes me in the room to talk to me 'properly' and tbh also like simplysally I can make sure he washes well!

ingles2 Fri 26-Sep-08 22:37:39

my ds's are 7 and 8 and I still sit in the bathroom whilst they're in the the bath. The important stuff seems to come out then.

Nemoandthefishes Fri 26-Sep-08 22:40:58

ds is 5 next month and has been able to swim for about a year so have left him in the bathroom while I dry and dress the dds in the next room but he is usually singing/shouting something..dont think I could go downstairs and leave him jsut yet!!

Flyonthewindscreen Fri 26-Sep-08 22:41:15

My dc are 6 and 4 and I have left them on own once washing has been done (but stay upstairs where I can can hear them) in bath since they were maybe 3 and 5. Actually they complain if I stay - think I cramp their style and inhibit splashing games... smile

cheesesarnie Fri 26-Sep-08 22:45:19

mine are 8,7 and 2.sometimes i leave 8 and 7 year old but am upstairs doing stuff.dont leave 2(almost 3) year old though.all of them like to chat in bath-we have some of our best conversations when theyre in the bath.

FrayedKnot Fri 26-Sep-08 22:51:42

I potter within earshot with DS, he's 4.5.

Would not have left him before he was about 4.

notsoteenagemum Fri 26-Sep-08 23:02:04

I've left them while I potter in their rooms etc from about 2.5 but always in earshot.
DD is 8 and does herself mostly but I check her hair for suds.
DS is 4 and likes me to be his backing singer so I clean the bathroom when he's in there.
As long as you can hear them then I think your ok but I'm an old-fashioned type of girl most people are shocked at my laid back ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now