Talk

Advanced search

Toddler trembling after nap - is this normal?

(15 Posts)
moomaa Fri 26-Sep-08 16:08:18

My DS (21 months) often trembles after his day time nap, for about 10 minutes or so. It is like he has a constant shiver. I give him milk and a biscuit and comfort him and after a while it goes. It is not every day, or even every week. Should I be worried?

sagacious Fri 26-Sep-08 16:12:09

Is he too hot ?
DS used to do this its an automatic response in young children (found this out after a trek to the out of hours GP.. know how freaky it can be!)

theonlyfemale Fri 26-Sep-08 16:13:49

My DS does this too but only when he s been woken up (getting him out car) etc. Not something i particually worry about to be honest. Sometimes i wake up feeling rough and get shivers! x

moomaa Fri 26-Sep-08 16:24:54

Not sure if he's too hot. He lies on his bed and not under the covers. He doesn't like it under the covers. Too long in gorw bags I guess. At night I put him in a fleecy sleepsuit and worry he would get too hot if he did get under the covers. There is always something to worry about!

Good to know 2 other kids do/did this. Anyone else?

FAQ Fri 26-Sep-08 16:27:07

DS3 does this if I get him up out of the pushchair/cot (whichever he's napped in) too soon after he's woken up.

Tamarto Fri 26-Sep-08 16:28:18

All three of mine have done this, some more often than others, usually it happened if they were woken out of a deep sleep.

SmugColditz Fri 26-Sep-08 16:38:28

Mine do this, especially in the middle of the night

moomaa Fri 26-Sep-08 16:51:26

Sounds like my DS is normal then. He seems pretty ok at the mo, he is glued to cbeebies. And I guess I do whip him out of bed pretty quick sometimes. Thanks all.

dontbitemytoes Fri 26-Sep-08 19:46:58

another one with a shiverer here! glad you posted moomaa, because i was about to!

sparkle12mar08 Sat 27-Sep-08 08:22:39

The sudden waking into consiousness could be triggering a fall in blood sugars, especially if it's a while since he ate? The biscuit and a ten minute rest could be just the trick.

ib Sat 27-Sep-08 08:26:14

Ds does this. I've never worried, as I do it sometimes, but it used to freak dh out. We're just not that good at waking up and need a while to adjust.

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 27-Sep-08 09:37:29

I'd go with the low blood sugar theory.

suiledonn Sat 27-Sep-08 09:46:41

I agree with the low blood sugar thing too. It happens to my dd (2.4) if she sleeps too long in the afternoon without having had her lunch. She is a thin child so doesn't have much back up to keep her going. Happens to my nephew too and he is also a thin child.

mellyonion Sat 27-Sep-08 09:54:52

my 2 yo does it too...it only happens when i have to wake him before he's ready...

ib Sat 27-Sep-08 19:16:21

I don't buy the blood sugar theory as ds sometimes gets it shortly after a bf...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now