Talk

Advanced search

Tantrum controls ?

(5 Posts)
Nappyzoneneedssleep Thu 25-Sep-08 19:12:11

My ds is 2 in Nov, he has the odd little paddy stamping his feet and saying no no no no much to my amusement as dd never did this so its new to me - anyway tonight after nursery he was trying to play with dd scooter and it kept toppling so i stood it up for him and he got a paddy on so i removed it from him and said two young for it and put it out of site - set up tea and he just totally paddied for about 40 mins - we ignored him rolling round the floor through tea and then i tried to pick him up and distract him which worked for a few mins but then he started again - finally i sat on the stairs and held him tight and after about 5/10 or who knows how long mins of thrashing he calmed whilst i tried humming, singing westlife (wasnt pretty) etc...., when calmed i distracted with usual wheres daddy (who was still at work grrrrrrrr)- moment slater he scranned all his tea then was deliriosly happy - sooooooooo give me a top tip or an idea of what some smart ass guru says you should do and works as i can see this is not going to be the last of the Addy paddys and i would like to think i was dealing with this in a correct fashion. I need wine.

girliefriend Thu 25-Sep-08 20:12:09

Sounds like you did great! I have very little patience when it some to temper tantrums and honestly think you just have to let them get on with it knowing it is a normal developmental stage that they will/ should (please god) grow out of! The latest advive I heard was that you shouldn't ignore them compleatly as this could lead to issues for them later on about how to deal with feeling angry! So i think you are meant to ignore them to a certain degree but also talk to them about how they might be feeling ie oh my godness you are feeling so cross you are kicking/ rolling around the floor etc. I find picking my dd up and removing her to another room works well xXx

girliefriend Thu 25-Sep-08 20:12:22

Sounds like you did great! I have very little patience when it some to temper tantrums and honestly think you just have to let them get on with it knowing it is a normal developmental stage that they will/ should (please god) grow out of! The latest advive I heard was that you shouldn't ignore them compleatly as this could lead to issues for them later on about how to deal with feeling angry! So i think you are meant to ignore them to a certain degree but also talk to them about how they might be feeling ie oh my godness you are feeling so cross you are kicking/ rolling around the floor etc. I find picking my dd up and removing her to another room works well xXx

Nappyzoneneedssleep Thu 25-Sep-08 20:35:03

lol i have no patience! i find it easier to ignore and blank it out but clearly this wasnt working - i had no idea tantrums went on so long! I suppose i could have popped him in his cot - dh wants to put him in a bed this wwekend - i am now thinking no way as the cot was my last resort and he could get out the bed! Ooooo hope this stage doesnt last long - i am on my 2nd glass of wine so it cant be good for me blush

Nappyzoneneedssleep Thu 25-Sep-08 20:35:06

lol i have no patience! i find it easier to ignore and blank it out but clearly this wasnt working - i had no idea tantrums went on so long! I suppose i could have popped him in his cot - dh wants to put him in a bed this wwekend - i am now thinking no way as the cot was my last resort and he could get out the bed! Ooooo hope this stage doesnt last long - i am on my 2nd glass of wine so it cant be good for me blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now