Talk

Advanced search

What can I do to help my son's speach development?

(8 Posts)
sadminster Thu 25-Sep-08 09:43:13

My ds is 23 months and has three 'proper' words - duck, fish & star - which he says clearly. He has his versions of frog, cat, dog, bee, milk, hot, I want, chicken, cockerel, pig (we don't live on a farm so why all the animal words I don't know). He actually says many more words than my dd did at that age (she's absolutely fine now), but my HV is getting skittish.

His hearing is fine (been checked), he loves books, music & singing, he points, waves & claps, if he wants something he drags us over to it rather than making any attempt to ask (exactly as my dd did), he understands questions/instructions like - Where's Daddy? Can you get your boots? Can you bring me the post? Do you want a bath? We're going for a walk etc.

Should I be freaking out? I have no other concerns about his development.

igivein Thu 25-Sep-08 09:51:49

Tell the HV to sod off! I have 25 month old DS who's saying a bit more now but was about the same at 23 months. My HV said 'don't worry about it, this time next year you'll be telling him to shut up'

Ebb Thu 25-Sep-08 09:53:57

If his hearing is fine, he understands simple instructions and knows several words then I really wouldn't worry. Just continue reading with him, pointing out things and talk to him about what you're doing. I looked a 2 year old who had very few words when I started and he's 5 now and doesn't stop talking! It will come.

lingle Fri 26-Sep-08 09:04:19

Please please keep your sensible attitude. There are so many real problems in life without your HV trying to persuade you to worry about your boy's normal development.

If she needs something to do, please feel free to introduce her to my DS2 who is at the same stage at 3.1!

pagwatch Fri 26-Sep-08 09:08:30

I wouldn't be concerned by what you are describing.
Have you asked the HV exactly what her concern is? If it is simply a lack of vocabularly then I would ignore. But I would wantt to be very clear exactly what she is concerned about

sadminster Fri 26-Sep-08 10:52:11

Pagwatch yes, lack of vocabulary. She says he should have at least 25 words & be starting to put them together. She's spent quite a lot of time with him & describes him as bright, confident and sociable.

I know that he is not as advanced as many children his age but it seems normal to me given my experience with my daughter (I'm always shocked when a tiny 2yo asks me for something in a perfect sentence - I'm used to pointing & grunting). Both my kids are tall for their age & are physically very able, I'm starting to get the occasional odd look when people realise how little he says.

I don't have concerns about his cognitive development or motor skills, he isn't at all frustrated. I don't know, I was actually much more relaxed about my daughter's lack of speech - maybe I've got a touch of PSB!

pagwatch Fri 26-Sep-08 10:57:24

oh no then she is just being a bit silly IMO

Language develops at a hugely different rate. Especially in boys.And his communications sounds fine.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you start to feel concerned yourself or if he starts showing any frustration

lingle Fri 26-Sep-08 11:13:01

Funny that sadminster - I also ignored DS1's lack of speech but fret about DS2.

I think I was too shattered to worry when DS1 was at this age!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now