Talk

Advanced search

Help, Dd2 has just given up her dummy I need your support please!

(5 Posts)
LoveMyGirls Wed 24-Sep-08 21:41:03

Dd2 (3 next week) put her dummy in the bin tonight she's asleep now but it's taken 2 hours for her to go off without it. Dp is out, he doesn't know. Last time I tired this she ended up trying to give up her day time naps and being miserable so I gave in now she's older and is starting nursery next week, she still naps in the day and I'm wondering if this was such a bright idea. Over the last few weeks we've talked about her growing up, getting bigger, going to nursery etc. I've said how when she's 3 they'll be no more going in the pushchair, no more nappies (she wakes dry a lot anyway) and no more dummies so tonight she was going to bed adn I said do you want to put your dummy in the bin and go to sleep without it now you're getting big, she said yes and happily threw it in the bin we had another chat about how she's a big girl and doesn't need it and dd1 doesnt have one, stephanine from lazytown doesnt have one etc. She hasn't really cried just shouted me up 5 or 6 times for a reassuring cuddle and I told her firmly time for sleep now because everytime she shouted it woke dd1 and she has school tomorrow.

The thing is what do i do tomorrow when she goes down for her nap? Is this the wrong time should I have done this after she started nursery?

Spoo Wed 24-Sep-08 21:46:12

There's no going back now. Our DS1 gave his up last week. he is 3.5. He volunteered. I would however let her have some baby stuff still and not try to get rid of everything all at once she might break under the pressure - and yourself.

We also gave DS1 a Milo - which was his big boy replacement for the dummy. Is there something you can give her in the morning as a prize. Then everytime she asks for her dummy you can say - no you have your 'milo equiv' now.

LoveMyGirls Wed 24-Sep-08 21:53:40

Thanks so much, we've got presents upstairs I haven't wrapped, off to have a look and see what I can give her when she wakes up, fab idea!

As for taking everything at once, ikwym, I'm not bothered about nappies for now she's almost there anyway she only wears them for bed as she's been potty trained for nearly a year, the pushchair isn't a very regular thing anyway and she does prefer to walk so no big deal there, I think the biggest one was the dummies.

I don't really know what I was expecting, I think it's probably gone as well as it can do, she was never going to just go to bed and go to sleep without it at least she doesn't cry and scream or go to sleep really upset.

Spoo Thu 25-Sep-08 20:12:54

LMG - how did it go this morning?? I was amazed that my DS didn't cry for his dummies too. He only seems to take longer to get to sleep and bedtimes don't seem quite as calm as they once were!!

LoveMyGirls Thu 25-Sep-08 21:54:35

I think its going well, she still had a nap and shes been in bed since just after 7 but was dozing about half an hour ago. She loved her present this morning it really helped!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now