Talk

Advanced search

Do you think 14months is to young to put in her own bed??

(29 Posts)
mamachat Wed 24-Sep-08 18:08:03

Anytime I put dd in her cot she wakes up and will not settle in the cot. I had to put it on the bottom setting as she can climb out on all the others... I used to be able to put her down without her waking up but as I am short it is diffucly for me to put her down so low...

So she is still in my bed. I think maybe I could turn her cotbed into a bed and that would make it easier for me to put her down, but I am worried about her falling out in her sleep...

Also thinking I could get on of those bed rails which co-sleepers use and put that on her bed.

Just wondering what is the youngest age anyone has put their LO in a bed alone??

+

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 18:10:13

my friends dc went into bed at about a yr old with no problems my ds was just before 19 mths but he had had enough of his cot for months before that

mamachat Wed 24-Sep-08 18:18:54

How did you dicide your ds was ready? did he have any rails on his bed?

dd has been really good at getting up and down stairs for ages now, and can climb off my bed and sofa and I pretty sure her bed will be lower than both.

Only problem is when she is sleeping she might move around and fall out...

hana Wed 24-Sep-08 18:22:29

we put dd into a bed at that age - was for different reasons. Went down fine but woke up several times a night (was still bfing her) for a feed and I got tired of getting out bed to get her - so she would wake up, come to our bedroom and climb in beside me. Was lovely!

dooneygirl Wed 24-Sep-08 18:27:08

I HAD to put DD in a bed at 13 months, because she figured out how to climb out of her cot. I bought DS bunk beds at 22 months (had to get him out of the cot because we had DD), and only set up the top bunk that had rails around it everywhere except where the ladder was supposed to go, and then when DD got out of her cot, she got that one, and we set up the bottom part of the bunk bed without rails, as he was old enough not to fall out of the bed anymore. It worked well for both of them.

mamachat Wed 24-Sep-08 18:28:38

hana - how sweet... I just stopped bf dd as he woke every 1-2 hours to bf which I found draining... she is now sleeping all the way though the night, but not sure if things will get worse if she is not in my bed...

did you use a rail thingy? did she ever fall out??

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 18:29:10

my ds hated being surrounded by bars he liked to spread out and would get stuck in bars even with bumpers all round and he would want to go to bed in my bed not his cot

we found putting duvet tucked in at side of bed where getting in and open at wall he never once fell out as duvet was tucked in so held him in

there so low junior beds a duvet on floor would soften any fall

LIZS Wed 24-Sep-08 18:29:21

Both my nephews were moved early and both became a nightmare , getting up , playing in bathroom etc, as they could get out

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 18:30:11

oh also bedtime would become a nightmare as he never wanted to go once he got bed he always wanted to go to bed and loved the sprawling out

hana Wed 24-Sep-08 18:30:53

mamachat - it was a toddler bed from Ikea (Vikare?) so quite low to the ground, didn't use a guard. She never fell out but I did have blankets folded up beside just in case.

only problem is she is 7 now and STILL crawling into bed with us!! <ahem, not to be bf......> !

AnarchyAunt Wed 24-Sep-08 18:32:13

I'd say it was fine, with a bedrail on both sides (or one side against the wall).

If she is on her own in a bedroom, a stairgate is a good idea to give you some peace of mind. I say this after 2 yo dd escaped from her room early one morning, put her wellies on, ran some water in the bath, splashed in it... and then came and snuggled up with a sleeping me!

mamachat Wed 24-Sep-08 18:39:41

actually I think dd does not like the bars as well, also I used to have a matress on the floor in dd's bedroom and left her on it during the day once when she was having a nap, she woke up, did not cry as she normally does and just came crawling into the living room... but when ever she woke in the cot she would cry straight away...

mamachat Wed 24-Sep-08 18:41:08

and the folded duvet sounds like a good idea, save me buying a bed rail, I have already wasted money on a stair gate dd does not need as I only have 3stairs...

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 18:51:55

good luck what ever you decide it may be the bars being surrounded when laying there must get quite frustrating ds was ready at that age but i was worried but then just thought we'd give it ago and wished id done it sooner

MuffinMclay Wed 24-Sep-08 19:08:15

My SIL put her 4 into normal beds at 12 months old. She reckons it works better than later because they get used to it before they get into the toddler mindset of trying to escape and fight bedtime. Used bedguards, and duvets on the floor to cushion the fall if they should fall out, I think.

SmallShips Wed 24-Sep-08 19:40:53

My DS was in a bed at 13 months with one side against the wall and a bedguard on the other. He was fine. Plan on doing the same with DD if shes ready.

Yanda Wed 24-Sep-08 19:55:58

My DD was in a toddler bed at 11 months. She always absolutely hated her cot and she is a very active sleeper so it was disturbing her. She has only fallen out once and she is now 2.3. We did not use bed guards or anything as she was walking fairly confidently for an 11 month old. It was the best thing we ever did. Only problem we have is that now she is 2.3 she seems to have trouble settling in the toddler bed as she is big and tall and wants to spread right out. I can see her in a king size bed by the time she is 12 lol

gingerninja Wed 24-Sep-08 20:00:30

My DD was in a bed (a double) at about 12 months so I could go and get in with her rather than sitting by a cot for hours in the night waiting for her to sleep and then wake again as soon as I'd left the room!

bigdonna Wed 24-Sep-08 21:31:16

both my dc slept with me until 1yr old then went straight into big bed.my ds had a double and he loved it.

mamachat Thu 25-Sep-08 09:12:29

bigdonna - did you find your dc's went into bed happily when you decided to move them out of your bed?

DD has mostly always been in my bed, I used to put her in the cot when she was asleep but that does not work anymore... she has only just started sleeping through the night as I have stopped bf.

PuzzleRocks Thu 25-Sep-08 09:18:21

We put DD into her own bed at 11 months. She hated her cot and was so tall by that stage she was almost climbing out. We have one side against the wall and a guard rail down one half of the other side with lots of pillows on the floor. She doesn't climb out when she's awakes but sits up and shouts at us to come at get her.

mamachat Thu 25-Sep-08 09:29:23

puzzle - Thats funny, atleast you dont have to worry about her sneaking out to make a mess... lol

sadminster Thu 25-Sep-08 09:48:55

Mine have both been in normal beds with a bed guard for the first couple of months by 15 months (dd was 12 months, ds 14 months) - both hated their cot (between them they've probably only slept in it 5 or 6 times). They've each fallen out a couple of times, we put the cot mattress on the floor just in case they do & a stair gate to prevent nocturnal wanderings.

PuzzleRocks Thu 25-Sep-08 10:18:51

No mamachat but she sure makes up for it later on. She's 17 months now and one of her favourite words is mess. smile

pookie81 Thu 25-Sep-08 14:44:33

My DDD went into her own bed when she was 10 months! She hated the cot from birth and would scream and scream until we either brought her in with us or I slept with her in out guest bed. We decided to try her in the small bed and hey presto not a peep!

We also made sure that the bed was positioned so that her head was north and feet south (good feng shui apparently)and that must have helped. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now