Talk

Advanced search

OK, DD2 (22 months) currently sitting in high chair screaming and attempting to throw her dinner of the floor ! Help !

(10 Posts)
FoghornLeghorn Wed 24-Sep-08 17:39:04

This is a nightly occurance, I usually just leave her be and the fill her up on snacky bits so she's not hungry - however, this is now getting ridiculous !

I asked if she wanted a yoghurt - yes - OK after dinner - cue screams of YOGHURT YOGHURT YOGHURT ! I've now removed the remainign mash from her plate as most of is between her fingers, in her hair, on my floor, anywhere but in her mouth basically. She only has carrots and sausages left, very easy for her to eat, it's not that she can't it's that she just doesn't want to.

Now all I can hear is 'Don't like it' SCREAM 'Don't want it' SCREAM !

MarlaSinger Wed 24-Sep-08 17:40:18

Can't you just give her the yoghurt?

bethoo Wed 24-Sep-08 17:41:30

dont ask her if she wants yoghurt til she has finished her tea but dont focus too much on what she leaves.
i no longer bother with high chair for my 18 month old as he enjoys sitting with me <<<bad mom alert!!>>>

my ds prefers to feed my dog so you can imagine how little he actually eats!

FoghornLeghorn Wed 24-Sep-08 17:42:24

I usually would and have been up until now but surely she has to start eating properly at some point ! She eats her breakfast no trouble but lunch and dinner times are a nightmare, even if she doesn't create, she just doesn't eat !

FoghornLeghorn Wed 24-Sep-08 17:43:27

Again, I wouldn't usually mention the yog until they'd finished dinner but I thought it might make her eat something ... clearly not though

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 17:44:36

best thing dont mention yogurt until eaten enough dinner as yogurt is much more appealing

and also remember portion sizes to you she may not have eaten enough yet to her she could of had enough

best advise for me was to be told one tablespoon per portion per yr of age

so for 1 yr old would be total of 3 tablespoons 2 yr old 6 tablespoons doesnt look much but is sufficient amount of food

i always felt my son wasnt eating enough and now stick to this and he clears his plate also lots of praise and allow them to get messy and enjoy dinner time

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 17:45:11

totally x post on the yogurt thing

FoghornLeghorn Wed 24-Sep-08 17:47:09

It's not that she doesn't eat enough she mostly just doesn't eat which is why I feel the need to fill her up on other snacky bits before bed - my theory was, at least she was eating something !

Now DD1 wants a yoghurt as she's finished ... should I just give DD2 one ?

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 17:53:32

yes give her a yogurt and maybe do some toast befoe bed

try to stop snacking in afternoon i dont let ds eat after 3 or drink to much juice then i know he will eat

sometimes they know how long to scream until you gi=ve in so lots of praise and encouragement even if only few mouthfuls you can try and ad done each night before yogurt is given

pushchair Wed 24-Sep-08 18:18:03

No advice as I am in terrific turmoil on food front. Today for instance have reinstated 'no eating between meals' except for designated snack times. And the result -crap! Hardly anything eaten all day. Am about to serve up veg curry and know it will be rejected. Recently tried no pudding because no dinner was being eaten and again just got sulking,hysterics and screaming. Good luckgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now