Talk

Advanced search

Questions questions driving me crazy

(10 Posts)
Beetroot Sun 27-Feb-05 13:55:25

Message withdrawn

duster Sun 27-Feb-05 14:14:39

Respond to each question with a smile and saying, 'Hmmm good question. What do you think?'
Then praising him - 'See, you worked it out for yourself!'
My middle boy is just the same. 'Muu-uumm, whywhowhatwherewhenhowcome...?'
You should know I do not always practise what I preach and have been know to say, 'I don't know!'
is there something your ds does well at, that the others don't?

DecafArabica Sun 27-Feb-05 16:38:59

Oh no this phase doesn't continue until they're 10, does it??? DS (3) currently driving me up the wall with constant questions (whyhowhenwherewhat) re everything, I know I should be grateful he has such an interest in his surroundings but, as my grandmother often said, sometimes, oy vey, enough already.

Beetroot Sun 27-Feb-05 17:19:13

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Sun 27-Feb-05 17:21:21

I don't know what strategies you have tried Beetroot. Do you ask him how, where, what he thinks is the answer to the question - so he has to think for himself and maybe after a while he will do it automatically before asking.

I concede I'm no expert!

KarenThirl Sun 27-Feb-05 17:22:57

Whenever my ds asks questions I always say to him "What do you think?" and get him to work out an answer for himself. So now he's quite happy to do the working out and just belts out serial monologues constantly. Not sure which is worse, tbh.

Beetroot Sun 27-Feb-05 17:40:15

Message withdrawn

KarenThirl Mon 28-Feb-05 07:04:45

Yes, I've had that too. I tell him that if he can't be bothered to listen to me when I'm trying to help him, then I can't be bothered to help. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Also tell him to calm down before he tries again, maybe leave it and come back to it - if he's too hyper he can't concentrate and it winds him up further.

Beetroot Mon 28-Feb-05 11:19:37

Message withdrawn

KarenThirl Mon 28-Feb-05 13:43:32

Is your ds particularly bright, Beetroot? Often intelligent children set themselves ridiculously high standards of achievement and are afraid to take risks in case they don't live up to their own expectations. I've always tried to instil in my ds that it's OK to be wrong, mistakes are good and that's how we learn. I think it's good to let kids know that parents don't have all the answers as well. Often when he asks me something I'll admit I don't know, and if it's important enough we'll look it up in a book together. You could also try a reward system with a sticker for every time he tries something on his own.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: