Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

when do children develop tactical skills with game playing

(8 Posts)
newscot Sun 27-Feb-05 12:29:42

I have a dd 4.7 who is currently being assessed for a language disorder (semantics and pragmatics) It doesn't appear to be too severe but is noticeable.

What I want to ask is at what age did other MN kids develop tactical skills, especially with board games. For example, my dd will happily play snakes and ladders but doesn't get at all upset when she lands on a snake as though she doesn't realise this will hinder her in winning the game (she is keen to win but I'm not even sure she is 100% sure what that means)

I ask because dd is my first child (have dd2 5 months)and so have nothing to compare her with. I know she does well with physical games at nursery such as "whats the time Mr Wolf" and loves them as well.

Any comments gratefully received.

newscot Sun 27-Feb-05 16:52:48

bump

Guess I'm just wondering if dd should have more of a killer instinct! or maybe not all kids are competative

Don't know if lack of tactical skills is to do with language disorder or not.

KarenThirl Sun 27-Feb-05 17:28:59

I agree, think it depends on the child's attitude and personality. Some just play for the fun of it while others are desperate to win at all costs, and I'd imagine the latter would be more likely to develop the necessary strategies to win.

My 6 y-o plays Thunderbirds Monopoly like a demon, and if anyone is waiting for one card to make a set he'll damn well buy it just for spite, and the first time he played he realised the benefits of buying the dark blue properties. Watch out Richard Branson, eh?

newscot Mon 28-Feb-05 10:57:06

bump

Gwenick Mon 28-Feb-05 10:59:04

My DS1 (4 1/2yrs) doesn't have any concept of the tactics of winning games like snakes and ladders - I tried playing a game with him a few weeks back and he really didn't have a clue and didn't really understand at all that a snake would slow him down.

newscot Mon 28-Feb-05 11:06:38

Gwenick- so pleased to hear your reply. DD may not end up being Gordon Gekko but she is lovely and gentle and caring.

dinosaur Mon 28-Feb-05 11:13:22

My DS1 is just beginning to develop them at five and a half. He used to be like your dd, and not mind at all if he went down a snake!

coppertop Mon 28-Feb-05 11:35:01

Ds1 is 4yrs 8mths and finds it hilarious when he lands on a snake in Snakes & Ladders. The only time he is interested in winning anything is when he shouts "I won!" if he finishes eating first. I suspect that this is a tactic used by the dinnerladies at his school to encourage the children to eat faster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now