Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

At what age does a child safely and reliably run a bath and get clean solo?

(17 Posts)
RubyRioja Tue 23-Sep-08 17:37:54

ie no smelly bits, no flooded bathroom and not drowning self?

solo Tue 23-Sep-08 17:41:07

solo always runs own bath and always clean <said in silly, squeaky voice> grin

solo Tue 23-Sep-08 17:41:46

10. <sensible voice>

RubyRioja Tue 23-Sep-08 17:42:03

but are your bits smelly?grin

palaver Tue 23-Sep-08 17:45:27

I run my 7 yr old's bath, but he does the rest himself, including pulling the plug and gettting himself dry.

magnolia74 Tue 23-Sep-08 17:47:00

My 9 year olds run a bath and get in but I always go up and wash their hair smile

BitOfFun Tue 23-Sep-08 17:47:03

8 or 9 I'd say, but it wioll vary. My dss (13) still needs his dad to run it for him, but that is because he is RUINED [mother's voice]grin He and my 12 yr old dd still leave the towells on the floor, but that is laziness rather than incapacity.

solo Wed 24-Sep-08 00:12:50

No smelly bits here!

My Ds always showers. Very occasionally I'll run him a bath after football or similarly sweaty activities. I like to make sure the bath is not dusty before it is filled. That sounds bad, but it just gets dusty with the use of towels after showering as we have an exceptionally small bathroom, so not much room for dust to scatter...

FAQ Wed 24-Sep-08 00:22:53

DS1 helps me run the bath - he puts plug in, switches taps on and puts bubble bath in - I finish it off - as I bath DS2 and 3 in it before he jumps in.

He's been washing himself for over a year now (just turned 8) - doesn't seem to smell (yet grin)

I don't think I'd trust him yet to do the whole bath running himself (and because of how they get bathed I would check the temp anyhow before putting DS3 in).

geminigirl Wed 24-Sep-08 00:30:18

My Dh is 38 and still can't be trusted....

gigglewitch Wed 24-Sep-08 01:30:26

mid-thirties, possibly hmm
<sorry>

DS1 is almost 8, very particular about his appearance and comes up mostly clean, can wash and dry himself without flooding bathroom etc and appears to wash the necessities grin
DS2 who is 5, can not.
DD who's 2 loves to wash everything in the bathroom. oh, except herself hmm

Buda Wed 24-Sep-08 06:22:13

DS is 7 and I run the bath for him and potter around upstairs while he is in. I wash his hair if nec. I try to scrub his knees and elbows which are always black from football. Don't actually actively 'wash' him. I tend to assume being in warm soapy water will do that blush.

2sugars Wed 24-Sep-08 06:34:19

Yes, agree with Buda, I've always assumed that warm soapy water will do the trick for my 8yo dd. Will not dry herself or get her pjs on, but that's laziness on her part.

Since dd1 (10) has started 'sprouting' bits on her body, however, she showers and I've no idea how well she cleans herself, but she doesn't smell. Ditto drying herself but I have to hold the towel out for her outside the shower door while she steps into it. She will get her own pjs on.

The only night I let them off is Friday night, which is due to laziness/late night/wine on my part.

SofiaAmes Wed 24-Sep-08 06:39:15

My dd is just turning 6 and has been able to run her own bath/shower and wash and condition her own very long hair for a good 6 months now. Ds is just turning 8 and has been doing his own bath or shower for about a year, maybe a little longer.
I have for quite some time now (even before they could run the bath/shower on their own) left them to wash their own stinky bits, once they were in the bath. I would just remind them: willy, minny, bottom, under you arms, between your toes in a sort of rhythmic singsongy voice so that eventually they actually remembered to do it on their own.
Interestingly enough, neither is particularly good at thoroughly washing their face or hands if that's the only assigned task.

solo Wed 24-Sep-08 14:22:34

LOL!!! I always say to Ds face, bum, willy. I get cross with him because he stands under the shower, arms across his chest, swishing his shoulders/back from side to side, daydreaming hmm. Bugs me senseless! and he can't talk and wash either. He's in there for about 15 minutes. We got one of those Ariel shower timers, which got him sorted within that time, but unfortunately, it stopped working after day 3.

Fennel Wed 24-Sep-08 14:27:11

Mine run their own baths from 6. no drowning, no flooding bathroom (I did that myself, browsing mumsnet while running them a bath blush it fused all the electricity as well as flooding the house)

They are not smelly after their unsupervised baths, but they aren't really smelly anyway beforehand, just grubby. They come out a bit less grubby than they went in.

chunkychips Wed 24-Sep-08 14:29:34

My 5 year old pretty much does the bath on his own if he has too (not very often), he pulls out the plug, gets out and dries himself while I'm sorting out dd, but as for running it, would be scared he burnt himself (or more likely forgot about it and left it running), but give it another year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now