Talk

Advanced search

Disciplining your DC when they have their friends round.

(7 Posts)
groovychick2 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:01:04

Of course my boys will be excited when their friends come to play but their behaviour usually ends up getting totally out of hand!Thing is, I am not sure how to calm things down without making too much of a scene. Dont want their friends going home telling their parents what a horrible Mummy I am!!Advice anyone??

MamaG Tue 23-Sep-08 11:02:59

how old?

I find a grip of DD's arm with a hiss in her ear along the lines of "if you don't calm down, I will REALLY embarrass you in front of your friends" works, but she is 9

With my 4 year old DS, I glare a bit but tend to let it go a bit more - not really old enough to be uber good when so excited

HuwEdwards Tue 23-Sep-08 11:04:13

I always have a chat with my DDs before their friends come round. High spirits will be tolerated, but cheekiness and so on won't, so please don't do it as I don't want to have to tell you off in front of your friends. If I'm honest I do ease up on the discipline, but I think all kids (including the friends) need to understand the boundaries in your house.

HuwEdwards Tue 23-Sep-08 11:04:48

lol @ mamag - yes done the hissing before too!

groovychick2 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:05:29

5 years old,6 next month twin boys who are a handful at the best of times!!HELP.....grin

Kammy Tue 23-Sep-08 11:43:08

My ds is 6 nearly 7. I find a bit of casual intervention along the lines of..'anyone fancy a drink'..'ds, have you shown x this new toy..' can calm things down before they reach fever pitch. If this doesn't work I take ds into the kitchen and then do the hissing out of sight - and the promise of taking away 'screen time' works too. wink

groovychick2 Tue 23-Sep-08 11:55:32

Thanks Kammy I think telling them firmly out of earshot is a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now