Talk

Advanced search

When do babies become really smily / engaging?

(7 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 22-Sep-08 21:34:22

My 8 week old smiles occasionally and will 'get in to' being played with but it takes quite a bit! He still seems happy to just sit and stare at things around him with quite a blank face. When will he become noticeably more in to people interacting with him?

purpleturtle Mon 22-Sep-08 21:38:34

My first instinct was to say about 12 weeks. But it may be a bit longer. Depends what you mean by interaction, I suppose!

whomovedmychocolate Mon 22-Sep-08 21:40:09

Between three and four months so you have a while to go yet. At four months some with respond with a gurgle and a grin when you talk - ie make first attempts at responses to what you say.

pinata Tue 23-Sep-08 09:51:26

3/4 months i would say, as WMMC. my DD really loved being played with by 6 months, i would say - before that it was fairly random, so something that got a big grin one day would leave her completely uninterested the next.

HolidaysQueen Tue 23-Sep-08 09:59:51

3 months was a big turning point - he was already a smiley baby but started to become much more 'interactive' then (i know, that makes him sound like a computer game!) and just got better and better really - now 6 months old and just a joy to be with, except at 3am wink

Shooflypie Tue 23-Sep-08 10:57:18

Because we are told babies start smiling at 6 weeks, I'd kind of expected DS to be more smiley and interactive at 2 mo than he actually was. As everyone has said 3/4 months sees a big change, as does 5/6 when they can hold objects and play with them.
In the meantime keep singing smile.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 24-Sep-08 09:13:47

pfbs of course smile at 2 days old hmm because their parents interpret every expression as a smile including pre-flatulent face gurning! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now