Talk

Advanced search

what age did you drop the bedtime bottle?

(13 Posts)
bluestripes Sun 21-Sep-08 17:32:43

DS is 13 months and isn't interested in his bedtime bottle at all, I struggle to make him drink half of it - so should I just drop it do you think? I'm worried he won't get enough fluid if I drop it as he isn't great at drinking water during the day (or juice).

isaidno Sun 21-Sep-08 17:48:31

Try changing to a cup - not recommended to use bottle after 12 mths anyway.

bluestripes Sun 21-Sep-08 17:58:27

i've tried every cup going the ones that free flow he just wants to let it all dribble out by holding it upside down and the ones he has to suck out he won't really do and a normal cup lasts about 2 seconds as he puts his hand in it and tries to turn it upside down

MuffinMclay Sun 21-Sep-08 19:32:45

At 12 months with ds1. Changed to giving him a cup of cow's milk with his dinner instead.

I think you just have to put up with the mess for a short time until they get the hang of cups (maybe do a lot of practice with water outside?).

ammum Sun 21-Sep-08 20:36:40

my son was just over 2 i know its meant to be stopped at 1 but it was his comfort and has done him no harm, whats the rush to grow up anyway?

Sycamoretree Sun 21-Sep-08 20:55:38

Ah, bluestripes - I posted this very thread about 3 weeks ago. DS (then just one)behaving exactly like your DS. I gave it up, and there have been no problems at all. He has started to drink a little more water with juice in the day. Today, he actually took a little avent beaker upstairs to bathtime with him and drank a bit of it. Maybe the more he masters the cup, the more interested he might get in milk again. But it was definitely a huge relief to just drop the bottle.

BTW AMMUM, my DD 3 is still drinking a cup of milk at bedtime! I think it's good for her, and it's never affected her appetite. smile

noonki Sun 21-Sep-08 21:01:52

tonight - literally
we had a bottle fairy ring him up (me) and tell him what a big boy he was and bedtime bottle had to go! - I had primed him for a few weeks that it was going to happen, he had some in a cup with not a murmer - he is three today,

but he would drink it all in one go dead quick and loved it so I didn't care too much

I had got him off it at around 12months, then had DS2 when he was 19 months and he started again.

blushingm Mon 22-Sep-08 09:57:03

dd was 11 months...she just lost all interest. I thing ds was just 2. D nephew is 3.10 and still has a bottle a night

suzywong Mon 22-Sep-08 10:00:11

four and a half
yes
four and a half
and yes it was a bottlevof milk on the sofa before bed snuggled up next to me

and he does not appear to be harmed in anyway

if your child likes it keep it going

Dropdeadfred Mon 22-Sep-08 10:01:07

dd3 is 3.4 and she is still going strong with her bedtime bottle....grin

lizandlulu Mon 22-Sep-08 10:06:35

dd is 2.10 and still loves her bedtime bottle, but i would drop it in a flash if she wanted to.

Pitchounette Mon 22-Sep-08 10:54:51

Message withdrawn

GooseyLoosey Mon 22-Sep-08 10:57:55

Dropped the bottle bit at about 14 months. Ds and dd (5 and 4) still have warm milk before bed though snuggled up on sofa with us. Its lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now