Talk

Advanced search

I just watched a video of an autistic child

(58 Posts)
Pushpinia Sun 21-Sep-08 16:54:40

...and my son does the same thing.

Except mine is much littler. but I am a bit worried anyway as he has a couple of 'red flags' already.

Is this a normal thing for babies to do or is it a bit odd?

here is the link

Thankyou

Pushpinia Sun 21-Sep-08 16:55:37

Ds1 just glanced at the screen and said 'Is that ds2?'

Pushpinia Sun 21-Sep-08 17:00:51

DrHorrible Sun 21-Sep-08 17:03:14

I can't help, but it might be worth linking this in special needs

Acinonyx Sun 21-Sep-08 17:03:31

IMO, there is nothing about that video clip, taken out of context, that would make me even suspect that the child was autistic. You'd need a lot more information than that.

islandofsodor Sun 21-Sep-08 17:04:00

To me, that is just a child playing, crawling around the room, going under the table, in short doing things all children do.

The fact that this child is autistic is neither here nor there. Autism is much more than that. All kids act like that every so often.

Joolyjoolyjoo Sun 21-Sep-08 17:04:36

I thought it could be fairly normal- kids do all sorts of odd things, don't they? Mine do! I don't know much about autism, but didn't want to leave you unanswered. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along in a minute.

Pushpinia Sun 21-Sep-08 17:05:11

Thanks, I wasn't sure. He has some other odd ways of doing things as well so I was a bit taken aback to see that as well!

<leaves You tube well alone>

smile

FAQ Sun 21-Sep-08 17:05:22

agree with Acinonyx - reminds me of DS2 when he was a similar age to that boy on the clip.....and he's as NT as they come.

TheProvincialLady Sun 21-Sep-08 17:06:57

How the hell can people post this kind of video of their child if he has autism? If he had cancer would they be videoing his skin sores etc?hmm There is no dignity in it.

lingle Sun 21-Sep-08 17:10:56

I'm glad someone else found the video distressing....

Pushpinia, I think you are right to stay away from YouTube.

Good luck, There are lots of experienced mums in the special needs section.

Pushpinia Sun 21-Sep-08 17:17:10

I know - I could never do it either. I wish I had not looked now, it's very sad for that child.

Someone asked me to post a photo of my son once as I was concerned about him physically and I couldn't do it. It would have been like he was an object for people to stare at iyswim. sad

chocolatemummy Sun 21-Sep-08 17:18:57

just watched quite a few of those clips and most of them are just crazily labelled as autism in my (quite experienced)opinion.
Autism is a serious label to give a child and not usually detected clinically until around age 6

cyberseraphim Sun 21-Sep-08 17:25:09

The child does not look autistic to me - although generally autism is diagnosed not by a behaviour but by how pervasive the behaviour is. Autism is not usually dxd til 3 or 4 in the UK but there will be clear signs from 18 months or younger. I had my first 'uh oh'moment when DS1 was 3 months

Peachy Sun 21-Sep-08 17:28:51

ds1 does the head thing, ds2 did as a small toddler, ds3 never did

but

ds1 is almost 9, although is asd

ds2 ms mr nt himself!

ds3 is asd, more severe than ds1

it'd be great if such behaviours were indicative of anything but there are no such absolutes in asd. how could tere be? asd means you fit a description called the triad of impairments, b ut theres a lot of child outside that triad- and therefore a lot of sifferences between asd kids!

asd is te bogeman atm I think, the thing parents are scared of. the trouble is though nobody can give a yay r nay until diagnosis. My ds4 is a child with a massively increades risk of asd (due to 2 siblings) but i have to accept there's no way of knowing yet

ManxMum Sun 21-Sep-08 17:29:07

looks a perfectly normal child to me!!

I think the hair on the carpet may have created static, great fun!

chocolatemummy Sun 21-Sep-08 17:30:02

I think its dreadful to put your children on show like that, I can understand some parents may be desperate for a second opinion as Autism is very hard to diagnose but Utube.....?

Peachy Sun 21-Sep-08 17:31:52

although cyber- we knew from birth ds1 was different, but ds3 was regressive- not a damned clue until almost 3

still remember dh and I joyfully watching 2 year old him make eye contact saying 'at least he's not asd like ds1' sad- months later language gone, only recently talking and eye contact very intermittent

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 21-Sep-08 17:35:58

Having looked at lots of videos of that particular child I would say he definitely needs an assessment. For me it was the way he played with the horses. Made me all nostalgic as it reminded me of ds1 at that age.

Autism can be diagnosed from TWO (even before in some cases), - there is no need for a child to wait until SIX. (sorry but that comment above made me quite cross).

If you have concerns about your child get him assessed. The head thing in the video you linked to by itself wouldn't worry me at all. In combination with other things it might be more of a red flag.

cyberseraphim Sun 21-Sep-08 17:38:19

The child could well be ASD - presumably parents have other concerns but I think PP was looking at the behaviour itself and thinking does that mean ASD (in itself) ?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 21-Sep-08 17:39:00

And when ds1 was two I would have been desperate to see videos like this (or preferably from children already diagnosed) to see whether his behaviour was normal or not.

I didn't find the video distressing, it was fairly day to day stuff and he was quite happy. He was just doing his stuff.

There's quite a lot of autism videos on youtube. It can be useful if you want to get some idea of how to do floortime or RDI or VB or something.

Peachy Sun 21-Sep-08 17:39:57

Agree with jimjams bt would also emphasise value of asking for help early- you can always cacel an appointment if your worries pass, but waiting lists can be long so better to get on them earky imo

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 21-Sep-08 17:41:30

Nothing means autism by itself though does it. As I said above the head thing by itself wouldn't worry me at all. Doing the head thing and doing other stuff (like not pointing, lack of speech or playing in the way the boy in the video was without other play) would. BUt not by itself.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 21-Sep-08 17:45:22

Actually that's an idea isn't it? A video sent to HV etc with video of young children with autism. So that people can see they can be cuddly, and they can make eye contact and don't sit in the corner rocking, but have other subtle signs that might not mean much but would suggest an assessment, or a closer look from someone.

Peachy Sun 21-Sep-08 17:47:27

Push- would it be rude to ask what the other red flags you are concerned with are? (feel free to tell us to bugger off!)

(jimjams one for the Paeds wit soh demonstrations might be handy as well wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now