Talk

Advanced search

My 11th month old won't sleep!

(6 Posts)
HensMum Sun 21-Sep-08 09:12:06

We've always had a few issues with Ds's sleep. When he was tiny he had to be rocked to sleep but for a few months, he's been settling himself to sleep really well, having two naps a day and sleeping well at night.
However, over the past few days it's all gone to pot! He won't settle for naps, won't settle at night and wakes at night screaming. Night wakings used to be a case of just popping the dummy back in and he'd go back to sleep but now he screams if you leave the room.
Last night he woke at 1am. I managed to settle him in his cot and then stood outside the door shushing him and gradually creeping down the corridor back to bed. Which was great, but I had to do it an hour after that, and an hour after that.
DP has just taken him up for a nap and I can hear him crashing around in his cot (DS not DP!) and now they are both back downstairs...

We're all knackered, help! Is this just some behavioural thing that's going to pass? Please?!

desperatelyseekingsleep Sun 21-Sep-08 14:01:34

Ds2 went through almost exactly this at about 10/11 months. It lasted about 2-3 weeks, then suddenly stopped again. I was absolutely tearing my hair out about it, as nothing I did seemed to work. I can only assume it was teeth or a separation anxiety thing. After trying gradual withdrawal methods (which only seemed to make him worse) I eventually tried controlled crying and this seemed to crack it in about 2 nights. However, I'm not sure if it was the cc that worked or if he just grew out of it. Just grit your teeth, he will grow out of it soon!

HensMum Mon 22-Sep-08 12:31:43

2-3 weeks?! Arrrgh! I'm a wreck after 2-3 days. I got used to a full night's sleep and 2 naps a day.
DS was up 2 times last night, starting at midnight so even less sleep for everyone. I managed to get him to nap this morning after an hour of crying and rocking. He nodded off on my lap listening to the Gruffalo's child!
I agree, I think it probably is a combination of teeth and seperation anxiety.
I really don't want to do CC, has anyone got any ideas. Or stories of how their DC grew out of this really, really quickly?

jkklpu Mon 22-Sep-08 20:39:34

Poor you - my 11mo ds2 still wakes up at least twice a night to feed and, with recent teething, it's been more like 4 or 5. No tips from me, I'm afraid, just sympathy for anyone else who misses as much sleep as I do.

TwinkleToes76 Mon 22-Sep-08 20:50:30

my 11 mth old DD is doing this aswell after months of blissful, uninterrupted, self-settling sleep. Its been going on for a week and i am slowly losing the plot. I had though it might be her teething or possibly her telling us she wants to drop a nap, but who bloody knows. CC didn't work for us in the past (but gradual withdrawal did brilliantly) and at the moment she gets hysterical the moment we lie her down so don't want to make it any worse by leaving her to scream it out. She's not ill, not over tired, not hungry etc so fingers crossed its just another one of those phases that will pass! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for any useful suggestions of how to stop the hideousness...

Hope it gets better for you soon!

HensMum Tue 23-Sep-08 09:13:42

Hey TwinkleToes, we're not alone!

Last night was better, only two wakings. And actually not proper wakings, just crying. I had to sit with him while he went back to sleep but only took about 10 mins each time.

I'm cheating for naps and rocking him to sleep as that seems to be the only thing that works. I know it's bad but he is so tired with not sleeping properly at night. And I am so tired too and can't take the stress so I'd rather cuddle him for 5mins than struggle to get him to settle himself.

It's weird, it's like he hates his cot all of a sudden and has totally forgotten that he used to settle himself. I hope he remembers soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now