Talk

Advanced search

What age for blowing nose?

(13 Posts)
usernametaken Sat 20-Sep-08 18:09:30

When did you children manage to blow their own noses?

DD hasn't been ill often so the opportunities for snot wiping have been limited. The last time she had a cold she became an expert in wiping the snot half way across her cheek so that her hair stuck in it!

Am I expecting too much from her to be able to blow the snot out herself?!
Many thanks!

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Sat 20-Sep-08 19:20:32

how old is your DD? DS1 is 8 and cannot "blow" his nose yet (despite some rather lengthy demonstrations by myself and DH) but has been able to "wipe" his nose on tissue since around 4 yo.

lizandlulu Sat 20-Sep-08 19:23:59

my dd 2.10 has had a runny nose now for about 4 weeks and does the same, wipes it across her cheek and leaves trails on her arm.
went to a wedding last week and mil pointed out 'oh my boys were always good nose blowers'

what a good charachteristic to havehmm

artichokes Sat 20-Sep-08 19:25:26

If given a tissue and told to use it to blow her nose DD manages just fine. She is 2.1 but has been doing this since 18 months.

CryingMyselfToSleep Sat 20-Sep-08 19:27:06

about 3-4ish...

ruddynorah Sat 20-Sep-08 19:34:07

dd could do it from about 20 months. didn't really explain it she just did it.

kwaker5 Sat 20-Sep-08 20:03:25

My ds is almost 2 and he tries to do it but ends up blowing out of his mouth, so it sounds good but is useless!

quinne Sat 20-Sep-08 23:15:48

My GP told me they learn this around 5 (she said not developmentally ready before 5). That was four years ago. Would have to say that my DS is 6 now and still not great at it...

LunaFairy Sun 21-Sep-08 08:19:25

Since my ds was 2 he would go to the tissue box, take a tissue and put it over his nose. I would hold it and say blow and he would. I've been teaching him since a very early age. He does it himself now.

franke Sun 21-Sep-08 08:31:31

dd (just turned 6) has learnt in the past year. I actually started a thread on here about it and how to teach this important life skill grin and got a few good suggestions. In the end I got her to blow a feather along the floor without using her mouth - she soon got the hang of it.

TheGoddessBlossom Sun 21-Sep-08 08:35:53

DS1 got it about age 3.5 - I used the example of holldng his breath like he does when swimming and blowing the breath out his nose, keeping mouth closed. Did the trick...

TrinityRhino Sun 21-Sep-08 08:38:18

dd2 is 3.4 and has mastered bloewing and wiping jst recebtly
al thanks tot the lovely nursery ladies

miaik Wed 05-Feb-14 08:43:10

Wnen a child is about 7-8 he already can read and write, but sometimes can't blow the nose without a help. He needs somebody to hold a handkerchief for him. As I remember, I myself began to blow my nose when I was 12. When I was younger my nurse hold a handkerchief for me. I blew my nose only with her help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now