Talk

Advanced search

DS grinds his teeth at night, pls help

(9 Posts)
ChocFudgeCake Sat 20-Sep-08 07:46:42

He does it a lot. His brother too, I think.
DH is concerned that it will damage the teeth. Is there anything I can do??

katerocks Sat 20-Sep-08 11:06:58

Hi

My sister used to do this in her sleep as a child and my god it used to annoy me something terrible (we shared a room). However at the grand old age of 27, I am reliably informed by her husband that she still does it!!! And as far as I know she has never had any problems with her teeth whatsoever. in fact she has a lovely set of teeth!
If you are concerned, I think the dentist can give you a mouthguard for him to wear in bed, but they are quite expensive - about £50 I think. Best of luck and I'm sure it is bothering you more than him!!! x

ChocFudgeCake Tue 23-Sep-08 14:36:12

Thanks Katerocks. It's reassuring.
What I will have to do is tell him not to come and visit us at night in our bed (he is in the bad habit of doing that). Because what wakes me is DH telling him "Hey, hey stop it!". I do not see him agreeing to have a mouthguard, unless it tastes of chocolate Or I could have that mouthguard for DH! That's an idea! It would come handy throughout the day wink

rachelp73 Tue 23-Sep-08 14:40:24

Did you post about that a while back? I posted a reply to this topic a couple of months ago, saying my 4 year old does it. Drives me nuts on the odd occasion he sleeps with me. Does the image "a horse chewing a polo mint" ring any bells with you? grin

I was worried he was doing it through stress, but he is clearly not stressed at all in his life, he has started school recently and settled in fine and I haven't noticed a sudden increase in the tooth-grinding. I pity his future wife, that's all I can say!

ActingNormal Tue 23-Sep-08 22:22:32

My DD does this still (5). When she first had her teeth she used to do it in the daytime as well. It makes me feel anxious and faint and ill! I imagine her teeth breaking and I can't stand it. She just does it at night now. Her teeth are fine (except that she chipped a chunk out of the two top front ones by hitting her teeth against the tarmac at nursery when she was 3). DH used to say "imagine she is making a sound like a dolphin rather than teeth crunching"

Bubbaloo Tue 23-Sep-08 22:29:00

Ds2 grinds his teeth during the day which drives me potty and apparently I did the same when I was his age(17 months).
My teeth are fine so no lasting damage-hopefully it's something they will soon outgrow.

notsoteenagemum Tue 23-Sep-08 22:45:53

DD does this really loud, I asked the dentist and he did an x-ray but said theres no harm done but he's keeping an eye out every time we go. Ask yours if you are concerned.

notsoteenagemum Tue 23-Sep-08 22:47:02

DD does this really loud, I asked the dentist and he did an x-ray but said theres no harm done but he's keeping an eye out every time we go. Ask yours if you are concerned.

ChocFudgeCake Wed 24-Sep-08 21:20:55

Thanks for your posts. This is the first time I write about it. I was also feeling that it might be my fault because he could be stressed about something (like too much pressure to go to the toilet!). I'll remember to tell the dentist next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now