Talk

Advanced search

7 week old wants to suckle at the breast constantly

(27 Posts)
Breizhette Fri 19-Sep-08 15:28:24

DS is only contented when suckling. I can hardly put him down. Most of the time, he is not happy in the sling either, or activity mat or bouncy chair. He sends himself to sleep suckling.
I know he is still very young so probably normal, although quite stressful as I have to learn to type, eat, clean my teeth etc... with a baby at my breast!
We co-sleep which might have given him the taste for this.
Anyone has gone though this?

Bucharest Fri 19-Sep-08 15:29:18

Everybody......it's normal....just get lots of dvds and biscuits within reach and put your feet up.

Breizhette Fri 19-Sep-08 15:31:31

Cool, thought so but DD was not like this and DH getting a bit annoyed I think. DVDs and biscuits sound fab.

pigleto Fri 19-Sep-08 15:32:19

yes. don't worry, it goes in phases. but both mine were only really happy when attatched. I loved it. I miss it now. but I do remember being annoyed when I couldn't cut up my own food or have a hot drink for months on end because I had a baby in a sling slurping away.

sitdownpleasegeorge Fri 19-Sep-08 15:32:30

Have you considered using a dummy/soother/pacifier or whatever they are called these days ?

ff ds was a sucky baby and would happily have sucked the empty bottle teat if we hadn't got worried about him sucking in lots of air and resorting to a dummy instead.

Breizhette Fri 19-Sep-08 15:39:58

I did try a dummy and although I was dead against it before having children, I would be very happy if he took it now but he gets very very cross when I offer it to him. The sling I have does not allow me to breastfeed in, maybe I should invest ine one where I could?

LadyOfWaffle Fri 19-Sep-08 15:41:07

Enjoy the excuse to take a break from housework to feed and mumsnet, feed in bed at 3 in the afternoon grin, feed and watch TV... annoying when you do want/need to do something though! DS (4 weeks) will only be put down for a short time , DS1 was the same.

Pannacotta Fri 19-Sep-08 15:45:22

Totally normal.
Try a rinbg lsing, eg Huggababy for feedign in, woudl make life easier for you. if not put yoru feet up and take it easy, this stage soon passes!

sasamax Fri 19-Sep-08 17:15:39

Yep - completely normal and healthy.
Baby will gain weight brilliantly too prob.
Co-sleeping def makes it 'worse' - using the word carefully as it's no bad thing. So what if he wants to be close to you and suckling all day long - so long as you're OK with it. Phone in a pizza and put your feet up - what an excuse - milk it! (excuse the pun)

seeker Fri 19-Sep-08 17:28:20

Completely normal. You haven't lived until you have packed your shopping in Tescos while breastfeeding!

Why is your DH getting annoyed, Breizhette?

sasamax Fri 19-Sep-08 17:36:18

Wow seeker - bfing in a sling while walking about - what sling do you use?

seeker Fri 19-Sep-08 17:44:01

Wasn't in a sling. Just used one arm to hold baby, the other to put shopping into pushchair basket!

sasamax Fri 19-Sep-08 18:09:46

Aaahhh - oh yeah I know that one.
Desp to find a sling that accommodates!

BandofMothers Fri 19-Sep-08 18:13:17

Tell your DH that it is much more inconvenient for you than for him and to shut uphmm

BabiesEverywhere Fri 19-Sep-08 18:29:30

Perfectly normal...We have just been though a growth spurt with 5 week old DS. Thank goodness I can put him down for a short while today, I'm suffering from a bad cold. But I expect him to have further bouts of constant nursing in the future

LeonieD Sat 20-Sep-08 09:05:04

Message withdrawn

Marina Sat 20-Sep-08 09:07:56

What your dh thinks is really not important Breizhette, it's totally normally for babies to do this when they are tiny. Agree with you that some do it more than others, but go with your instincts and respond to your baby's needs for now

Breizhette Sun 21-Sep-08 09:21:45

Thank you all. I did suspect it was normal, but DH tires of seing me with a baby attached 24/7. As it's DC2, I now know that these phases don't last, so it's worth trying to enjoy the closeness.
And I did unpack shopping while Bfing, also cleaned my teeth, went to the bathroom, washed my hands, put DD to bed, hoovered (!) etc...

Umlellala Sun 21-Sep-08 09:29:52

I have a (slightly settled down) sucky 9 week old ds. And ff dd was very sucky too (although would take a dummy, ds won't!).

Had a ring sling which was good, but this sling is brilliant. Get comments everywhere I go, Is ok on your back (my ds is over 14lb - giant baby!), can bf (I need to support with a hand, but have walked down round pushing pushchair with one hand and bf in other) and he ALWAYS sleeps in it. Oh, and mine (jade/hearts) is really pretty grin

sasamax Sun 21-Sep-08 09:55:39

Umlellala - I don't seem to get on with pouch slings too well - baby always seems to look kind of bent and uncomfortable in it - i must be doing it wrong - is there a particular 'knack' to it? I use a hugabub now but cannot for the life of me work out a way to feed in it!

Umlellala Sun 21-Sep-08 10:04:33

I just jiggle ds til he looks comfier... need to look for a new carry though I think, cradle perfect for newborn but prob a bit too squished for older baby.

Googling the hugabub, it looks lovely! Ds was in the Ergo/newborn insert for a bit (similar, more upright position) and I just kind of grabbed his head and wedged him on the boob at that angle - but I think it might depend on size of boobs...

sasamax Sun 21-Sep-08 19:37:24

Ah right - maybe I'm carrying her too high up - her head is only a couple of inches below my chin. Maybe if I could lower her somehow...
I've heard the Ergo is good - is there a reason you're not using it now?

Umlellala Sun 21-Sep-08 22:18:30

Was using it a bit with newborn insert but seemed a bit hot (this is over the summer) and a friend showed me how to use the ring sling (that I never used with dd) and it seemed more appropriate for a (tiny then) newborn... Then I bought the Murrons Pouch one which I love, love, love... but I think the Ergo will come into it's own when I can use without the insert (ie when ds has good head control).

Can carry toddler no probs in it - and it's really good on your back for long distances.

Yeah, I remember it was a bit of an odd angle for bfing, although worked ok. He was slightly above my boob I think.. !!

TinkerBellesMum Sun 21-Sep-08 22:27:53

I use wrap slings and used to nurse walking down the road in them quite happily. Still use it occasionally with a 2 year old Tink!

It is a normal stage, even comfort suckling is really important to your supply - this is why a lot of people are trying to say nursing rather than breastfeeding to take the emphasis away from the "feeding" part - so even if you think that he isn't getting anything then a dummy can be problematic.

Umlellala Mon 22-Sep-08 10:05:46

nursing rather than breastfeeding, yes, i like smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now